2017 Willys Wheeler JKU Silver Wolf

gheller

I never tried to put the plastic wind guard back under my new bumper. I finally bought the barricade skid plate you mentioned. It's sitting in the garage just begging to be installed. I'll post some pictures and comments about the install once I put it on

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cool, I'd like to know what you think of it. Supposedly it's very strong but the mounting leaves much room for improvement

gheller

MagnaFlow 15160 dual exhaust black muffler

No pics yet.
Today was a nice weather day so I installed the Magnaflow muffler. There are so many pics of this muffler and videos of the sound that I will just say that removing the stock muffler would be very easy except for that passenger side rubber hanger. That was a bitch to get off.
Magnaflow muffler went on very easy.
Sound is ok. You hear it when you start engine and and accelerating through the gears. It's a nice mellow tone.
I will be driving out to New Jersey tomorrow to shoot/photograph my GF's dance company performance and will see how it is at highway cruising speeds.

Looks good and sounds ok so far.

ELBRAVO

Thank you! I agree with your reasoning and response. I am currently in the process of cleaning out my sheds and discarding of a lot of stuff because we have very little room as it is.
All the best!
Rocky

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

AEV 2" Spacer Lift BB

So this past Tuesday I had the AEV 2" Spacer lift installed. I'd have loved to do it myself but I would have to be in the street on the ground (and the cold) and that isn't how I want to get into it.

I took it to Evan out in Deer Park Long Island, NY. He's got a great reputation as a Jeep mechanic and is constantly booked up. I made the appointment with him a few weeks in advance.
He has a small shop with 2 lifts and machining area. He does all the work himself as he says he's not interested in looking after anyone else to make sure they're doing the work right.

The kit is complete and solid and installation fairly straight forward except for the front shock extension brackets. Each side is a 2 piece bracket configuration which seems to be more complicated than it needed to be. the diagram in the instructions were somewhat misleading but after a while he figured it out and they are solid.

I have the Cooper STT Pros 295/70/17 tires on stock wheels. They measure exactly 32" to the shoulder. I felt the slight lift would be just right for this tire, and after the install I think it was just right. The measurements from the floor to front of Rubi Rail and rear are the nearly identical. That's with 100 lb front bumper and no winch. Winch will come in the spring.

The 1+ hour ride home felt just the same as the ride out.

Of course it doesn't end here, lol. I'm considering some Rancho 9000xl shocks in the spring. I am mostly fine with the ride I have with the Rubi Shocks and 17/59 springs on my Willys but there are times when it feels a bit harsh and perhaps too firm over the little road bumps/ruts occasionally. I've seen several reviews and posts about the differences between the Rubis, Bilsteins and Ranchos and the general consensus seems to be the Ranchos have a softer yet controlled on road ride, plus the ability to dial in to taste and various conditions is attractive.

i-D46w7pG.jpg

Last edited:

Spartan65USMC

Great looking rig,

I am a bit partial to Silver. All your modifications are subtle yet very well thought out.
I had a question about your spare tire carrier, is that a stock item? It bares a strong resemblance to the aftermarket carriers out there. I have been contemplating a new carrier. If Jeep has an upgraded carrier, I might as well stay with the OEM product?

gheller

Great looking rig,

I am a bit partial to Silver. All your modifications are subtle yet very well thought out.
I had a question about your spare tire carrier, is that a stock item? It bares a strong resemblance to the aftermarket carriers out there. I have been contemplating a new carrier. If Jeep has an upgraded carrier, I might as well stay with the OEM product?

Yes, the reinforced swing gate/tire carrier was a new option for 2017 (it also might be why they threw 59 springs in back when I have no towing package)

Supposedly it is the Teraflex unit. The option was approx 800.00

The Teraflex would be the HD Hinged Carrier along with the HD Adjustable tire mount Kit (that includes the hardware to mount your 3rd brake light on the spare)

I would guess you would save a lot by purchasing the Terflex system as opposed to getting the Mopar, although I haven't compared prices.

gheller

McGard Wheel Locks

Had our first snow a few days ago. My GF works in retail and had to be in Long Island at 7:00am. When we woke at 5 and looked outside it was a few inches of snow covering the roads and still coming down as half snow/freezing rain.
We set off and I started out in 2WD to see how it handled the conditions. Moved along well, except of course if I accelerated too hard the back would come out and slide. We got on the parkway and traffic was moving along at 25-30mph on the snow and ice covered road. Still had it in 2wd and it was very doable but I could feel the rear coming loose a bit whenever I needed to apply some power, such as going up hill. I engaged 4wd and all was good.
As we were traveling along we saw several accidents and a few stranded vehicles on the side of the road. Opposite lane there was an old Buick or something that spun sideways and was completely blocking all traffic. On the way home I had to exit early as that car was still there causing huge jams.

As always, DOT spreads salt on the roads, sometime more salt than there is snow on the ground. The next day I come outside and look at the Jeep and see all 5 of my McGard wheel locks rusting away from inside. I'm thinking it had to be the salt, since they were exposed to rain and car washes before and never rusted that I noticed. I've only had them a month or so and they've been removed once.

Just ordered some Rugged Ridge locks in black that have splines covered by an external sleeve. cheap enough at 20.00 shipped. The locks are merely a deterrent for the random thief that thinks they'll make a quick buck. I know they wont stop the readily equipped career thief, but having them on is better than not.

Just got the Jeep washed and the undercarriage sprayed off as well to get the salt off.

Silver Wolf looks great and ready for our trip Friday to the Lakota Wolf Preserve in New Jersey. Great place, heading out with my son, daughter and grand daughter.

i-zTMPRwr-XL.jpg

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I know it's necessary to keep the roadways clear of snow/ice, but I hate hate hate hate hate!!!! HATE!!!!!!!!! road salt :mad:

I lived in Upper Michigan long enough to know that enough winters like that will rust a vehicle to bits. Nebraska is a little more conservative when it comes to deploying road salt but it's still pretty bad.... all you SoCal folks have it good :blush:

gheller

Custom Vent Covers

I ordered some custom vent covers a little while back, just to give Silver Wolf a bit more character. These are simply thin plastic laser engraved discs that were custom designed with a wolf paw print that I found online and sent to the engraver.

They mount very securely with a double stick tape that is already applied to the back when I received them. They do not interfere with the function of the vents. They also carry custom beverage holder inserts that I will order with the same paw print engraved. My son Kyle loves them, so does everyone that gets in.

I also have a paw print vinyl decal about 6" tall that I intend to place on one of the rear windows. Just some small touches that help to personalize the ride.

i-Wjpj9WQ-X2.jpg

i-nBT7GHV-X2.jpg

i-PV562Sm-X2.jpg

i-VLHDxph-X2.jpg

gheller

Bartact Rear Seat Covers

After having had the front Bartact seat covers for a while now and see how durable they are I decided to go ahead and order the rears. they are not cheap, so I wanted to see how the fronts hold up over a few months. We love the look, fit and quality but also the material allows you to slide around a bit and its helpful when getting in and out of the ride.

The rear covers came with a large MOLLE bag, and I bought a second one so we have them on the back of both front seats.

The rear covers go on tight, so there is a lot of struggling and a good workout in sliding the backs on. (muscles were sore for a few days after) The rear headrests have to come off as well as the center seat belt mount. Easy enough though and it took about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish.

Lining up the back rest covers as they go on is very important so you get the fold down release handle and seat belt opening lined up right. Its very hard to shift the covers around once you have them on. I had to take one side almost completely off to twist it a bit so it lined up right.

They look good and once again, they make getting in and out easier because of the material allowing you to slide on them.

i-wJ64kCS-X2.jpg

i-DmHQqXV-X2.jpg

i-jZnRTw2-X2.jpg

i-d4DVX2J-X2.jpg

i-tJqcDP9-X2.jpg

Top Bottom