A little help for my brothers TJ

Nimbo

Hi all,
My brother has a 97 TJ 4.0l down in New Zealand. He loves it, but is having an issue that no one seems to be able to help him with, he's tried countless times to get it sorted.
Basically, he can never start it first time, as soon as he releases the key and tries for the second time, it fires straight up! It is also running really rich I think? using a lot more gas than normal, and runs rough at idle where you can smell fuel.
It's driving him mad as everyone he takes it too there says "its a Jeep, that's what they do" so in my frustration I'm hoping someone here can chime in and help!
Cheers!
1622127_817524171635630_255432135129250528_n.jpg 12540946_1195213133839434_3300397631917916555_n.jpg

Chad

Hi all,
My brother has a 97 TJ 4.0l down in New Zealand. He loves it, but is having an issue that no one seems to be able to help him with, he's tried countless times to get it sorted.
Basically, he can never start it first time, as soon as he releases the key and tries for the second time, it fires straight up! It is also running really rich I think? using a lot more gas than normal, and runs rough at idle where you can smell fuel.
It's driving him mad as everyone he takes it too there says "its a Jeep, that's what they do" so in my frustration I'm hoping someone here can chime in and help!
Cheers!
View attachment 232523 View attachment 232524

My 04 was having the same starting problem. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the problem was fixed. Good luck.

Nimbo

Thanks so much for that reply, that's the first bit of helpful info he has had! Will look at getting that sensor sorted and try from there :thumb:

kep01

When I got mine it had a vacuum leak from the intake which caused it to run that way, my Jeep seemed to be overcompensating for the air leak with fuel

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Both responses so far are right on. If camshaft or crankshaft sensor are bad it will have a hard time starting. Depending on which is not sending a good signal could cause a rough idle. So definitely start with this.

The vacuum leak will cause a rough running engine but because it isn't getting enough fuel for the air it is sucking in. You can spray some brake clean around the seams on your intake manifold while it is running. If you hit a leak the idle will raise.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom