Transmission - Rebuild or New

wetfootnw

'13 Auto JKUR with 28K miles

I was up at Walker Valley the other weekend and had issues with the transmission not going into gear. More of a hesitation as I shifted in\out of both drive and reverse. Happened on the trail and coming off a trail switching out of 4-lo. No CELs, never saw temps above ~210 and fluid levels always good.
The dip stick oil looked and smelled ok, but once I dropped the pan, the oil was nasty and burnt.

So now I am looking at a rebuild or getting a new one. Any feedback on which way to go either rebuild or new? Anything else I should be looking at?

WJCO

Meme King
Delayed engagement is usually a valve body issue, but you really should have it fully diagnoses before just throwing parts at it. If you were to do a full transmission replacement or rebuild, it's almost more cost-effective to replace with a reman unit. You pay more for parts but less for labor and you usually get a longer warranty with it. Look around on ebay or reman shops and you'll see what I'm talking about. You also could call some trans shops just to get an idea of what a rebuild costs.

Just an example of what's out there used: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Complete-Au...3+jeep+wrangler+rubicon+transmission&_vxp=mtr

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Almost every "new" transmission is going to be a remanufactured transmission. Every transmission shop will pull and replace the original transmission after rebuilding it or throw a "new" remanufactured transmission in there. Almost every transmission shop should give some type of similar warranty as buying a reman unit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
'13 Auto JKUR with 28K miles

I was up at Walker Valley the other weekend and had issues with the transmission not going into gear. More of a hesitation as I shifted in\out of both drive and reverse. Happened on the trail and coming off a trail switching out of 4-lo. No CELs, never saw temps above ~210 and fluid levels always good.
The dip stick oil looked and smelled ok, but once I dropped the pan, the oil was nasty and burnt.

So now I am looking at a rebuild or getting a new one. Any feedback on which way to go either rebuild or new? Anything else I should be looking at?

did you flush the fluid and drive it to see if it was still having issues?

i'd try the warranty option if it's still under warranty, all they can do is say no. if the dealer declines then i'd get it checked out by a reputable transmission shop and get a quote. That way at least you know the housing is still good.

not sure i'd trust an ebay transmission, you never know how complete it is or how it was pulled out. my experience with major auto parts from ebay have ended up costing me more in the long run.

WJCO

Meme King
not sure i'd trust an ebay transmission, you never know how complete it is or how it was pulled out. my experience with major auto parts from ebay have ended up costing me more in the long run.

True. I always look at seller ratings on ebay and reviews if buying a major purchase from a junkyard.

wetfootnw

Thanks for all the reply's.

After pulling the pan I did replace the filter\fluid and have been driving in town the last few days. No issues until today leaving work when it hesitated going into reverse.
I doubt warranty will help with all my mods, but ok if its not covered. I'll make an appointment with the dealer to at least have them take a look and go to a transmission place if work is needed.
Also sounds like a reman transmission would be the way to go.

I was about ready to pull the trigger and order some PR60's to. This is going to eat into that fund damn it! :mad:

Top Bottom