Steering wheel judder

When turning at low speeds I get a lot of vibration up through the steering wheel. I have checked all the steering components and haven't found anything loose.

Any help and suggestions which be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dchew

Caught the Bug
I suggest three things:
1. Check all the bolts again. I don't mean to be flippant. Once it took me three times to find a loose track bar bolt.

2. Lift up each tire and see if there is any play in the wheel rocking in and out. Could be wheel bearing going bad. I think Eddie has a write up about this somewhere.

3. Um, you're not stuck in 4WD are you?

Dave

Edit: also make sure your steering wheel is centered. Could be the ESP is kicking in. Usually this will make you're warning lights come on, but not always.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I suggest three things:
1. Check all the bolts again. I don't mean to be flippant. Once it took me three times to find a loose track bar bolt.

2. Lift up each tire and see if there is any play in the wheel rocking in and out. Could be wheel bearing going bad. I think Eddie has a write up about this somewhere.

3. Um, you're not stuck in 4WD are you?

Dave

Edit: also make sure your steering wheel is centered. Could be the ESP is kicking in. Usually this will make you're warning lights come on, but not always.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I will have a look on my next set off, cheers for the info mate!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When turning at low speeds I get a lot of vibration up through the steering wheel. I have checked all the steering components and haven't found anything loose.

Any help and suggestions which be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vibrations as in it feels like your ABS might be engaging your brakes? Vibrations as in you might be feeling lug thumping from mud terrain tires? Vibrations in that the whole steering wheel is rocking back and fourth? Might need a bit more info here.

JAGS

Hooked
I have had the same tyres on for 16 months now so I'm not sure that will be the case. But I will still have a check.

Cheers mate!

Have you done a rotation and balance and psi check of the tires in that time? Could be that!

Along with Eddies questions, these would be helpful to know.

No I've never rotated the tyres as the wear rate has been the same.

There is nowhere local to me that can fit the wheel and tyres on their balancing machines. I had to travel to Kuwait just to get the tyres.
I have checked all my tyre pressures and they are ok

Vibrations as in it feels like your ABS might be engaging your brakes? Vibrations as in you might be feeling lug thumping from mud terrain tires? Vibrations in that the whole steering wheel is rocking back and fourth? Might need a bit more info here.

As in I can feel some rocking in the steering wheel and hear a juddering noise

WJCO

Meme King
I definitely noticed a different feeling on slow turn with the new Coopers. I do believe I'm feeling the way the lugs contact the pavement. I've checked everything else, and I'm pretty confident that that is it.

After checking a few of the things that got mentioned here, I finally got around to having the tracking done and I think that was the problem.

It was 1.5 degrees out, this seems to have stopped the juddering.

Thanks for all the advice as usual guys!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After checking a few of the things that got mentioned here, I finally got around to having the tracking done and I think that was the problem.

It was 1.5 degrees out, this seems to have stopped the juddering.

Thanks for all the advice as usual guys!!

I'm sorry but what exactly was 1.5 degrees out?

No they just adjusted the track bar and steering.

The only components I have installed myself are some Rock Krawler adjustable quick release sway bar disconnects but that was after I started getting the juddering.

Maybe I need to get the tracking done more often than twice tops a year, when I'm flying around in the desert a lot more often than that!! Haha

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No they just adjusted the track bar and steering.

The only components I have installed myself are some Rock Krawler adjustable quick release sway bar disconnects but that was after I started getting the juddering.

Maybe I need to get the tracking done more often than twice tops a year, when I'm flying around in the desert a lot more often than that!! Haha

Okay, I guess I was confused by what you were saying. You had too much toe in and that got fixed.

Top Bottom