Time to replace Front axle

Sullivan

I guess we all have our own idea of what "pretty inexpensive" is. At close to $600, there are a lot of good heavy duty tie rods you can get and again, that inch of clearance isn't going to keep your factory tie rod from getting hit. As far factory knuckles go, I'm clearly far from being badass enough to snap one. But, so that it isn't missed, if it helps you to sleep better at night having orange knuckles, that's all that matters. :yup:

No, nothing to do with orange. Obviously it's all relative to what the budget is. But you can't argue that they are stronger then the stock knuckles and that they have an advantage.
And the Dana 44 vs your 60's are worlds apart here. A ProRock 44, complete and built up with, locker, shafts, prosteers ball joints is not cheap. Reid's for an extra $500 is not that much. Relative to the $5000 cost of the built front axle, why not upgrade them? Orange or red.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I guess we all have our own idea of what "pretty inexpensive" is. At close to $600, there are a lot of good heavy duty tie rods you can get and again, that inch of clearance isn't going to keep your factory tie rod from getting hit. As far factory knuckles go, I'm clearly far from being badass enough to snap one. But, so that it isn't missed, if it helps you to sleep better at night having orange knuckles, that's all that matters. :yup:

My factory tie rod is already bent. What would you suggest as a replacement ? I'm still running a Dana 30 but plans are for prorock44 in a year or so. Don't want to buy tie rod twice. Sorry for the slight high jack

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, nothing to do with orange.

But they are orange :idontknow:

Obviously it's all relative to what the budget is.

Like I said, we clearly all have our own idea of what "pretty inexpensive" is. At close to $600, there is nothing inexpensive about them to me but then, that's just me.

But you can't argue that they are stronger then the stock knuckles and that they have an advantage.

Didn't know I needed to argue whether or not they are stronger. What I would argue is that in the last 10 years, I have seen stock knuckles to be more than strong enough and have yet to see the need to replace them for a set of orange ones that only offer about an inch more tie-rod clearance and cost of almost $600. But again, that's just me, what would I know.

And the Dana 44 vs your 60's are worlds apart here.

Ummm, you assume that I've always run a ProRock 60 front axle on Moby or that the other 3 JK's that I've owned over the last 10 years all had 60's too. :naw:

A ProRock 44, complete and built up with, locker, shafts, prosteers ball joints is not cheap. Reid's for an extra $500 is not that much. Relative to the $5000 cost of the built front axle, why not upgrade them? Orange or red.

Like I said several times now, we all have our own idea of what "pretty inexpensive" is. At clost to $600, and that's what it is, I personally find that things like a heavy duty tie rod, you know, one that you WILL still hit would be a better investment than a set of orange knuckles that only offer about an inch more clearance. When I'm paying upwards of $5000 for a new axle, every penny counts and if I can save about $600 and maybe use it for something I know I will need, I choose to go that route. But again, that's just me.

So that it isn't missed, me questioning the necessity of orange knuckles is not an indictment of your manhood. It was simply a response to the OP and based on what I have seen over the last 10 years. If you're happy with what you've got, more power to you :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
I am going to change my front axle and still deciding between the Core 44 and the ProRock 44.
What are the opinions with doing Reid Knuckles vs staying with the stock knuckles?
Also in the future I will be doing Hydro assist steering.

Also, here's an old thread I found that has some more info on the axles: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4290-G2-Axles

And of course, here's this, if you really want the G2, you can run right down to your local WalMart and get one all ready to go :thumb:

IMG_3418.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, I too question whether or not the G2 axles are "MADE IN THE USA". Pretty much every company I know that that truly manufactures their products here in the U.S.A. makes a big deal to state as much and as clearly as possible. All the other companies use language like "assembled in the USA" or "designed in the USA" or "hand built in the USA" or just "American made". The later is not the same and it is illegal to say "MADE IN THE USA" if it really isn't.

The other issue I've had with the Core axles is that for the cost to build one up, apples to apples with a ProRock, the cost really isn't that far apart and having seeing the quality control that goes into the building a Dynatrac axle first hand, I definitely would put my trust in it. Of course, if I'm going to have to run a proprietary diff cover, I'd prefer to run one that's proprietary because my axle offers the greatest amount of ground clearance of any 44 axle housing being made. Also, up until recently, the Core diff covers were sold with a fill plug that was too low. I believe G2 has since fixed this problem but the fact they didn't know better or worse, sold their axle so long knowing it was wrong is troubling to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My factory tie rod is already bent. What would you suggest as a replacement ? I'm still running a Dana 30 but plans are for prorock44 in a year or so. Don't want to buy tie rod twice. Sorry for the slight high jack

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

Personally, I prefer a Currie tie-rod. Their high end one is pretty expensive but they have a new standard version that I think is just as good and priced much more reasonably.

WJCO

Meme King
BTW, I too question whether or not the G2 axles are "MADE IN THE USA". Pretty much every company I know that that truly manufactures their products here in the U.S.A. makes a big deal to state as much and as clearly as possible. All the other companies use language like "assembled in the USA" or "designed in the USA" or "hand built in the USA" or just "American made". The later is not the same and it is illegal to say "MADE IN THE USA" if it really isn't.

Just for fun, I looked up an address for them. The only thing I could find by using their phone # was an address in Compton, CA and the building picture from Google is 4WheelParts. :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
Just for fun, I looked up an address for them. The only thing I could find by using their phone # was an address in Compton, CA and the building picture from Google is 4WheelParts. :crazyeyes:

Yup, they're both owned by Trans America. One big happy family.

Along with Smittybilt, ProComp, Poison Spyder...

EDIT - My bad - Polaris is the new owner of all of the above companies.

Last edited:

jkwebbie

Don't waste your money on Reid knuckles. If you want to raise your tie rod I would recommend getting your knuckles drilled for high steer instead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom