Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Basically what these would do? (see below)

I like this. Saves me from having to get something welded on and still serves the purpose of preventing damage to side of Jeep. Added benefit that it wouldn't scrape off powdercoat as DeJkUnlimited points out.

Yeah something like that would do it as long as it's tall enough so that the carrier doesn't clear it. We know it's a failsafe so it's not going to get hit often but WJCO does have a good point in using a more weatherproof & durable material.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
In all the pictures below, these pieces of hardware store rubber are resting points when the carrier is closed. The white ones are about 1/4" more collapsed from when they were new and are cracking heavily. They're about a year old. The black one is about 2 years old and use to sit tight against the carrier, now there is about 1/8" gap and rubber is deteriorating. It still functions for me, I'm just showing what will happen with cheap rubber over time.

DSC04771.JPG

DSC04772.JPG

DSC04773.JPG

DSC04774.JPG

DSC04775.jpg

Rubicon310

What do you guys think about swapping out the nuts and bolts with grade 8 bolts? I purchased the attachments for hi lift, rotopax and power tank. All of the attachments come with regular 1/2 inch bolts including the tire carrier bolts. Am I over thinking safety or do you think I will be fine with the nuts and bolts LoD sent?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
What do you guys think about swapping out the nuts and bolts with grade 8 bolts? I purchased the attachments for hi lift, rotopax and power tank. All of the attachments come with regular 1/2 inch bolts including the tire carrier bolts. Am I over thinking safety or do you think I will be fine with the nuts and bolts LoD sent?

What is the grade of the bolts that came with it? Knowing the quality of Lod, it's unlikely that they used substandard fasteners.

GraniteCrystal

I'd say you're over thinking it

Rogue41

I swapped out for black grade 8. I wanted a blacked out look but I should have done more homework. Within a couple of weeks the black rusted (a quick google search would have saved me money and time). I'm in the process of swapping them with zinc plated grade 8 where the bumpers attach to the frame and using the supplied hardware for the rest. I did not drill the rear sides. I used a large 5/8 X 5 (Grade 8) bolt instead of the supplied 1/2 bolts. Seems to be holding fine but haven't tried to tow or pull anyone so time will tell. Maybe silly but just really didn't want to drill that hole.

If I'm not mistaken we use Grade 5 bolts :) Usually more than sufficient but we have heard of customers entering certain competitions and then having to switch to grade 8 because of some sort of safety requirements :hmm:

What is the grade of the bolts that came with it? Knowing the quality of Lod, it's unlikely that they used substandard fasteners.

We have heard of people doing that, which is why we provide plenty of bolt holes/attachment points on the rear cross member and not just the rail sides ;) Looked up that bolt and good lord haha, that one must be as strong 2 of the 1/2x4 ones :brows:

I swapped out for black grade 8. I wanted a blacked out look but I should have done more homework. Within a couple of weeks the black rusted (a quick google search would have saved me money and time). I'm in the process of swapping them with zinc plated grade 8 where the bumpers attach to the frame and using the supplied hardware for the rest. I did not drill the rear sides. I used a large 5/8 X 5 (Grade 8) bolt instead of the supplied 1/2 bolts. Seems to be holding fine but haven't tried to tow or pull anyone so time will tell. Maybe silly but just really didn't want to drill that hole.

DK570

What type of black did you get? There are many types. Black Phosphate, Black Oxide, Black Zinc, Black Xylan...

Rubicon310

IMG_8662.jpg

2 of 3 attachments installed. I won't be running with this as my daily driver. This was just more of a test fit. 37's coming soon.

I ended up using a step bit on the aluminum Power Tank bracket to make the holes larger.

Rogue41

What type of black did you get? There are many types. Black Phosphate, Black Oxide, Black Zinc, Black Xylan...
I'm guessing black oxide. I simply asked for black grade 8 at my local hardware store. I did go back and show them the rust after a few weeks and was recommended to use yellow zinc (for grade 8). The options seem limited with grade 8. I ordered yellow zinc from Bolt Depot. There was no option for black zinc. I also looked at Amazon and Fastenal. Where would equivalent black fasteners be obtained?

Rogue41

LōD Offroad;854330 said:
We have heard of people doing that, which is why we provide plenty of bolt holes/attachment points on the rear cross member and not just the rail sides ;) Looked up that bolt and good lord haha, that one must be as strong 2 of the 1/2x4 ones :brows:
LOL.. ya will most likely pull the frame out from under the jeep before the bolt fails.

Top Bottom