Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

When the tire carrier closes it is naturally supposed to "bind" slightly, so that 5-7" approximate distance should be correct. The SLIGHT bind helps keep your tire and accessories stable and from rattling. So it is important to keep it SLIGHT, much like a toggle latch, as a very strong bind may lead to problems down the road (like one member above said) so it is important to not over-do it.

Yup, I tried too. I was told that the polymer one isn't necessary and that the metal one is better. I doubt the design was changed over to the polymer style if they didn't feel it was better at keeping the latch from rattling.

Till this day my carrier latch rattles. The only way to get it to stop rattling is the have the carrier make contact with my tailgate at 7-8 inches out but that binds my tailgate pushing it up. I'm sure that will eventually lead to factory tailgate latch breaking or the hinges binding or even worse the sheet metal warping. I'm no expert but those are just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

While we do apologize for any rust appearing on powdercoated parts, small gaps are sometimes missed by our powdercoater, and even if they are not they can still be hard to fill when using a large spray gun.

If I remember correctly that gap was addressed in one of the first revisions of the bumper and is now being welded completely down the seam.

On a side note, we have had reports of people's locking hitch pins not working (the large barrel end type) so here is a picture of a way to lock the Destroyer hitch in place:

Locking Hitch Pin Web.jpg

3dpilot

Fellas, my bumper/tire carrier should be here tomorrow and need some advice.
I noticed some of u used the 1/2" (video) drill bit instead 5/8" (instruction). Is there any other issues going with 1/2"? I just realized I don't have a 5/8" drill bit in my tool box, but can run to store for one if that's a better fit.
LOD feel free to reply as this help customers clear up on which drill bit to use. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I noticed some of u used the 1/2" (video) drill bit instead 5/8" (instruction). Is there any other issues going with 1/2"? I just realized I don't have a 5/8" drill bit in my tool box, but can run to store for one if that's a better fit.
LOD feel free to reply as this help customers clear up on which drill bit to use. Thanks in advance.

I used half inch, no issues. Same as you, I don't own 5/8".

If you have the stubby and the bolts won't fit it on the frame from the sides, just run them from the other side. May not be an issue with 5/8" bit but hardly a reason to guy buy a drill bit and I'd prefer to have a smaller hole than a larger one for strength purposes.

Yes, 1/2" is the correct size drill bit. We switched to that after realizing that 5/8" is not a common size drill bit. One of the bolts attaching the bumper to the frame may need to be flipped for a better fit on some vehicles. That is on the passenger side, closer to the rear of the vehicle if memory serves correctly. Feel free to post any pictures, questions, or call us if you need help!

3dpilot

Actually one more question, looking at the instruction, this part where the long bolts that go vertically was not tightened at all in the instruction. I'm guessing it was just missed? Screenshot_20170419-120758.jpg

Yes, not exactly missed though, those are just additional reinforcement mount points for people who want it to be super sturdy. We recommend using all the bolts supplied in the kit, there should be enough to get those two holes as well.

Actually one more question, looking at the instruction, this part where the long bolts that go vertically was not tightened at all in the instruction. I'm guessing it was just missed? View attachment 254202

3dpilot

Finally my Bumper/tire carrier is here!!
Fellas, I have another question, I'm running 37"x12.5x17 4.5bs. What's a good starting point for height and length setup for the tire mount. Again, Thanks in advance😀

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
LōD Offroad;868855 said:
When the tire carrier closes it is naturally supposed to "bind" slightly, so that 5-7" approximate distance should be correct. The SLIGHT bind helps keep your tire and accessories stable and from rattling. So it is important to keep it SLIGHT, much like a toggle latch, as a very strong bind may lead to problems down the road (like one member above said) so it is important to not over-do it.

Does this go for the gen 3 bumper and carrier as well. I think mine makes contact when almost close. It rattles a little.

This applies only to the Destroyer, which is a new and improved design. If you are having issues with your current product, please call our tech support line at 877-390-9584, we would be happy to assist you with your product.

Does this go for the gen 3 bumper and carrier as well. I think mine makes contact when almost close. It rattles a little.

Honestly not sure, we tested ours with a 35" but accounted for up to a 40", so you usually have a pretty wide range of height adjustment :) High or low depends on if you want to see anything out of your back window or not :rock: You could always start with the highest mount points and then lower it as needed. That way you won't have to lift it higher as you get tired :thumb:

Fellas, I have another question, I'm running 37"x12.5x17 4.5bs. What's a good starting point for height and length setup for the tire mount. Again, Thanks in advance��

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Fellas, I have another question, I'm running 37"x12.5x17 4.5bs. What's a good starting point for height and length setup for the tire mount. Again, Thanks in advance😀

If I remember correctly, there are four slots for vertical adjustment. The way I thought about it was bottom slot is 33" tire, then 35", 37", and 40" in the top slot.

Top Bottom