Oso Build Thread

dchew

Caught the Bug
Very clean. I'll call you the next time I need welding done... Haha.

Hmmm. Actually you want to call the guy I brought in to do the welding. You don't want me within 20' of a welding machine. :eek:

But I can cut and grind with the best of them! :yup:

Seriously don't underestimate how much welding this is. Dale had to run back to his shop and get another spool of wire! Including that run, telling stories and oogling over the jeep it took him 3 hours, and we had everything prepped and tacked in place for him. Probably 1 - 2 hours of solid welding including all the rear brackets, front axle gussets, front CA mounts and rear rockstops. He's an artist. Here is a pick of some headers he is doing from scratch:

IMG_0406.jpg

dchew

Caught the Bug
Thank you all for the positive comments! Almost done painting but ran out of rattle cans.

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

dchew

Caught the Bug
Rear end is all in and put together. Although I may need an adjustable rear track bar. At ~ ride hight the axle is about 1" East (toward the passenger side). Not sure why; maybe it was always off...?

IMG_0503.jpg

Then moved to the front. No photos but all the new control arms are attached to the frame. Also solved the big exhaust loop problem, at least temporarily. Flipped it and cut a bit off next to what is now the flange-end (downstream end). We welded that to the flange next to the y-pipe, then added a flexible section to connect it. If that ends up leaking we will get some more pipe and weld it all up.

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

Here you can see the clearance for the lower CA. Well you can sort of see it. Sorry for the crappy photo.

IMG_0509.jpg

Prime8

Is that your track bar I see on the left side of the top photo, extending up and out of sight? Who's track bar is that, it looks nice. That EVOs?

Sorry, I meant bottom. And I was looking at it wrong. It's the upper control arm. Never mind.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Here is a link to a review of the sliders:
Race-dezert review.html
Alleged benefits:
  • Quieter
  • Reduces side flexing of the upper coil
I got them because my Jeep is my DD. Most people don't use these things; they are terribly expensive for what they are. I will say they are well made, fit much tighter than the molded one-piece slider from King and are taller. I will report back on how much noise I still get from the coil overs.

Dave

Last edited:
Top Bottom