Superduty axle swap on a jku

Rb1boxer_3

Well i decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my sleeved/trussed/gusseted dana 44s with lockers and 5.13s to 1 tons. The axles are out of a 03 f350 with a 10.5 rear. Ill be doing the artec swap kit on the rear as the front already has the swap kit welded on. Ill add 5.13s or 5.38 gears and ARB air lockers. Any build advise anyone would like to share? Thanks in advance, im open to all construtive comments or advice.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app
You do know your sterling will hit the gas tank right. Just making sure. And check out p***** for deals that's where I got my arb lockers and rear artec truss for cheap

Out in the Boonies

Last edited by a moderator:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You do know your sterling will hit the gas tank right. Just making sure. And check out p***** for deals that's where I got my arb lockers and rear artec truss for cheap

Out in the Boonies

If they have such better deals you should probably just spend your time over there instead of here.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigPrince

Don't use Warn lockout hubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used the Warn premium hubs on mine. They've held up to almost a year of beating on rocks and abuse and my friend's 3year old could turn them lock to unlock - super easy.

You do know your sterling will hit the gas tank right. Just making sure. And check out p**** for deals that's where I got my arb lockers and rear artec truss for cheap

Out in the Boonies

I've posted pics on here I think in Grubbicon's thread of trimming the gas tank skids to fit a sterling. Took some adjustment after a couple of trips but mine no longer hits the gas tank.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Out in the Boonies

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your post. Please review forum rules. You are not allowed to direct members to other forums or social media sites , from this forum,

Blade

Yea that's the type of system that comes stock on the Fords, I had researched that a while back when I was told that the stock lockouts wouldn't work. I was confused as hell because I had physically seen them work without the vacuums. But my stock lockouts are in pretty good shape, so they should work just fine (fingers crossed). Gave them a good cleaning and repacked them full of grease. I guess I'll find out if they work when I put them in lol

Yeah, I have read threads that said that. The only thing that won't work with keeping the stock lockouts is the AUTO function. There are 2 positions in the hub. AUTO and LOCK. Throw all the vacuum stuff in the garbage. The Diaphram just inside the stub shaft, and the vacuum fitting just on top of the knuckle. After that, the AUTO position will be UNLOCK, and LOCK is LOCK.

Last edited:

Blade

Out in the Boonies

The Sterling comes really close, but I am running a 1410 flange and still don't make any contact throughout travel. It does come close where the housing tapers toward the pinion, but I just adjusted my control arms about half an inch longer and it clears fine. With stock arms I would think that it would definitely hit.

jkwebbie

I used the Warn premium hubs on mine. They've held up to almost a year of beating on rocks and abuse and my friend's 3year old could turn them lock to unlock - super easy.

Yea I'm upgrade mine to Warns if my stock when's give me any trouble. I wish Yukon made their hubs for Super duty axles but they don't.

jkwebbie

Yeah, I have read threads that said that. The only thing that won't work with keeping the stock lockouts is the AUTO function. There are 2 positions in the hub. AUTO and LOCK. Throw all the vacuum stuff in the garbage. The Diaphram just inside the stub shaft, and the vacuum fitting just on top of the knuckle. After that, the AUTO position will be UNLOCK, and LOCK is LOCK.

Yea I'm going to try and plug up that fitting on the knuckles and I've already thrown away the diaphragm when I took the axles apart lol.

jkugeza

I've posted pics on here I think in Grubbicon's thread of trimming the gas tank skids to fit a sterling. Took some adjustment after a couple of trips but mine no longer hits the gas tank.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, I have read about the trimming of the tank or mounts or moving back the rear axle 1-1.5"

jkugeza

Out in the Boonies

thanks for the heads up, but I have a parts guy. I will do the artec rear truss swap and he can snatch me some arb lockers for almost cost.

jorgelrod

Hooked
When I was working the quote with my local store for my PR44, the owner that is a close friend tried to sell me on the idea of junkyard 60's because "it could be done for about the same price of just that front axle". Still went with Dynatrac for many of the same reasons most guys posted around here, specially WJCO's statement, buying a quality American made product still is something I try to do every chance I can

jorgelrod

Hooked
Also as to this forum being a a Dynatrac shop, dude, even if they weren't as good as they are, which they most certainly are, Dynatrac is a supporting vendor, I'm sure that if you go to a Sears auto store and start saying that used snap on tools are better than new craftsman tools, you'll get shutdown pretty fast too...

BigPrince

Also as to this forum being a a Dynatrac shop, dude, even if they weren't as good as they are, which they most certainly are, Dynatrac is a supporting vendor, I'm sure that if you go to a Sears auto store and start saying that used snap on tools are better than new craftsman tools, you'll get shutdown pretty fast too...

But dude, you're saying the same thing dude. Dude this is a Dynatrac friendly forum because they are supporting vendor and they do put out a good product dude. This isn't Dynatrac's website itself though. It's ok to try the Simply Orange Juice instead of the Tropicana when you go the grocery store even though both are good and some people prefer the Simply brand dude. Sounds like your friend's shop is based in America(or an American territory) so working on Ford axles with Artec and Spicer and RCV parts still sounds American made. But what do I know, I'm sure you wheel that PR44 harder than I do my SD axles.

Last edited:

jkugeza

20170222_193341.jpg 20170222_193350.jpg finally got the axles in the garage, the front dana 60 already has the artec truss welded on. I will order the rear artec truss and get it all cleaned up for welding.

jkugeza

20170225_193145.jpg 20170225_193639.jpg 20170225_202837.jpg 20170225_202854.jpg received_10155188886030992.jpeg
The rear is drained, shafts are out, i had to get a 36" pry bar to get the ring and pinion out. Im looking for new dust shields, parking brakes, and unit bearings now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom