New bumper or stock bumper

Brigga72

Hey guys. I just recently bought my first Jeep. It's a 06 Rubicon. I'm excited to start customizing it. My question is would I be a fool to stick with the stock bumper and just get a winch mounting plate or should I hold out and get a new bumper with a built-in winch mount? Thanks for looking and welcome any wisdom you might share.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Hey guys. I just recently bought my first Jeep. It's a 06 Rubicon. I'm excited to start customizing it. My question is would I be a fool to stick with the stock bumper and just get a winch mounting plate or should I hold out and get a new bumper with a built-in winch mount? Thanks for looking and welcome any wisdom you might share.

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's really up to you. As long as your winch mount is secured to the frame, it will work. If you do the plate, it's a lot lighter than a full bumper.

LetsGoMuddin

Before I bought my JCR bumper I chopped my stock bumper into a stubby. It's definitely cheaper to go that way and get a winch mounting plate, I just really like the look that the JCR bumper gives my Jeep.

holliewood61

To me it depends on where you wheel. If you're on the east coast where we have trees and such id swap the factory bumper out for something more substantial. If you have wide open wheeling then a winch plate should be fine

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
True that...250.00 will get you something really nice nowadays, unless you are trapped in the brand of the week elitist money pit of dispair.

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

$250?? I would like to see what type of piece of shit you can get for that. Then add a winch to it... I guess doing things twice can be a hobby [emoji848].

YJJK

Well sir, I drive an 89 YJ, and 250 will get me a solid, well fitting front bumper that I have faith that it would protect me, my family, and my Jeep. Such bumpers do it all day long. My JK has a stock bumper on it, due to it not being financially viable to sink the amount of money into a vehicle that only drive on low impact trails. I am not spending money to have the latest thing at the mall. I am not cutting my stock fenders to look tough at the gym, Im not putting beadlocks on a DD commuter Jeep to look like I am a hard core rock crawler. I put my money where it will be used best, and purchase what will serve my needs best. I will not put a 1000.00 bumper on a Jeep then use said bumper for what I need it for. That, in my opinion, is just silly.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Well sir, I drive an 89 YJ, and 250 will get me a solid, well fitting front bumper that I have faith that it would protect me, my family, and my Jeep. Such bumpers do it all day long. My JK has a stock bumper on it, due to it not being financially viable to sink the amount of money into a vehicle that only drive on low impact trails. I am not spending money to have the latest thing at the mall. I am not cutting my stock fenders to look tough at the gym, Im not putting beadlocks on a DD commuter Jeep to look like I am a hard core rock crawler. I put my money where it will be used best, and purchase what will serve my needs best. I will not put a 1000.00 bumper on a Jeep then use said bumper for what I need it for. That, in my opinion, is just silly.

I believe the point was that the OP was looking to add a winch. My comment simply questions your statement that he could buy a decent winch ready bumper for $250. I really didn't ask about what you personally have or your philosophy behind it. I for sure didn't say that you had to have a $1,000 bumper, cut fenders and beadlocks to fit in, so reel it back in a little.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
My JK has a stock bumper on it, due to it not being financially viable to sink the amount of money into a vehicle that only drive on low impact trails. I am not spending money to have the latest thing at the mall. I am not cutting my stock fenders to look tough at the gym, Im not putting beadlocks on a DD commuter Jeep to look like I am a hard core rock crawler. I put my money where it will be used best, and purchase what will serve my needs best. I will not put a 1000.00 bumper on a Jeep then use said bumper for what I need it for. That, in my opinion, is just silly.

No need to get butthurt about it. And no one said you had to build your Jeep to fit in. Your Jeep, your money.

Tanktitan

There are a million different ways to build a Jeep and probably no two are the same. As a newbie at Moab EJS last year in a stock JKUR, the best consensus advice I got was to first decide what you are going to with it and then do it right the first time. Otherwise you introduce stresses that break things and cost you more over the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

YJJK

I believe the point was that the OP was looking to add a winch. My comment simply questions your statement that he could buy a decent winch ready bumper for $250. I really didn't ask about what you personally have or your philosophy behind it. I for sure didn't say that you had to have a $1,000 bumper, cut fenders and beadlocks to fit in, so reel it back in a little.
Im just saying that you can in fact buy a sturdy, functional winch bumper for 250. I am not butthurt at all. If you need a bumper for actual use, meaning recovery points, winch mounting, beating it against rocks, being able to fix it with a torch and a can of spray paint and be happy with the results, there is no need to buy high end items. I hope I didnt offend anyone, as I do think those high end items look nice. My statement is saying that they are not needed. I have friends that have sunk tons of money into a JK, spray tire dressing, and park the Jeep with a tire on a rock for a photo. Thats cool. Thats what they want. I was just stating that the OP has requirements that can be met without spending tons of cash. I am new on here, but have owned Jeeps constantly for 35yrs. I have used them, and had year of fun with my family, respecting the enviorment, and knowing the limitations of my vehicle. I just find it much more enjoyable to take a trail in a piece of old iron, and see what the old girl can do. Im not one to enjoy riding in my JK. It is not very fun. I gave it to my gf after lifting it for her. Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my statement. I guess I dont fit in on this forum, as I cant justify spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a vehicle to fit in. Im out. Jeep on.

jkris

Im just saying that you can in fact buy a sturdy, functional winch bumper for 250. I am not butthurt at all. If you need a bumper for actual use, meaning recovery points, winch mounting, beating it against rocks, being able to fix it with a torch and a can of spray paint and be happy with the results, there is no need to buy high end items. I hope I didnt offend anyone, as I do think those high end items look nice. My statement is saying that they are not needed. I have friends that have sunk tons of money into a JK, spray tire dressing, and park the Jeep with a tire on a rock for a photo. Thats cool. Thats what they want. I was just stating that the OP has requirements that can be met without spending tons of cash. I am new on here, but have owned Jeeps constantly for 35yrs. I have used them, and had year of fun with my family, respecting the enviorment, and knowing the limitations of my vehicle. I just find it much more enjoyable to take a trail in a piece of old iron, and see what the old girl can do. Im not one to enjoy riding in my JK. It is not very fun. I gave it to my gf after lifting it for her. Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my statement. I guess I dont fit in on this forum, as I cant justify spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a vehicle to fit in. Im out. Jeep on.

Holy hell bud. Relax a bit and breathe. If you have a hard time listening to opinions of others that may not agree with yours and do so civil like, then you may find any forum too hard for you. Just relax, share your opinion, and while you may disagree with others opinions, it's just that, an opinion. No need to freak out.
I have bought many parts for my Jeep. Some really good and some pretty damn shitty. I find that 9 times out of ten, the suggested OPINIONS here are usually correct, which would have saved my ass more money in the long run. And then I kick myself in the ass for a while. But as others said, your Jeep, your build, your money. No one here is telling you that you need bead locks. I still run steel cheap rims, and they work. Sometimes cheap works, sometimes it doesn't. Relax, have a beer, and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Im just saying that you can in fact buy a sturdy, functional winch bumper for 250.

I would like to see this sturdy, winch ready, $250 bumper.

I am not butthurt at all.

I didn't say that you were, but think you are.

Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else with my statement. I guess I dont fit in on this forum, as I cant justify spending 10s of thousands of dollars on a vehicle to fit in. Im out. Jeep on.

The only one offended is you. Nobody cares about what you have on your Jeep or how you choose to spend (or not spend) your money.

What I don't understand is how you can say something like the whole flavor of the week elitist thing, then get all bent because because I questioned you.

Maybe you're right and this place might not be a good fit for you, but know that it has nothing to do with your Jeep or what you have on it and everything to do with your thin skin.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom