Rubicon advice

This is the time of year I start planning for next season. And, while I have my normal haunts in Moab planned, I really want to make a trip to the Rubicon. Having never ran it before I'd like some advice from those that have. I'm currently running a 2014 JKU Sport. 2.5 coil lift with 35's. Some armor and a winch will be getting mounted in the next month or so.
Is this a trail I should run with a group? And what kind of spare parts should I plan on taking? I'm confident in my ability but, the majority of my wheeling is done in nearby Moab and the mountains around Salt Lake City. Very different than the Rubi.
Any advice is certainly welcome!

Thanks all and Merry Christmas

GraniteCrystal

No one else has chimed in, so here is some generic advice from someone who has never run the Rubicon (think of it as a free bump).

Bring the same spare parts you'd bring on any trip where you're doing some decent wheeling.

As always, go with a group if you can. Safer and more fun.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

I've run the Rubicon twice. Always with a large group. Always had breakage, not personally always, but it happens commonly. Bring as many spare parts as you can afford for common breaks.

It is the best trail in the country and not to be missed, have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oh, just noticed you have a sport. Lockers front and rear will make the trail much more fun because you won't be pulling winch cable all day. At least one locker would make a world of difference.

Awesome. Good to know. I typically take a pair of spare driveline u-joints and one extra rear axle shaft. I'm thinking of adding a pair of stock Dana 30 shafts in the parts box just in case. I am running an ARB in the rear so good to go there at least.

Webe

Both times I have done the Rubicon was with just one rig with my wife. No issues. Last time I pulled my camper thru it. Even did some difficult obstacles. Just be smart, pick good lines and take your time. Usually there is someone else out there if you need help.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome. Thanks for all the good info. If I'm able to swing it it will be at the end of July or the beginning of September. It's a big if just for the fact that I've got a few other trips planned including a trip back home to Washington to hopefully hit up walker valley and it's surrounding areas.

Desert Crawler

That run is already sold out and don't plan on running the trail at the same time they do as they functionally own it that weekend, which is August 10-13
Perhaps your thinking of the Jeep Jamboree. The Jeepers Jamboree (adults only) is not sold out and is July 27-30. The trail is closed to everybody else at that time, but if you are concerned about going it alone this is a fun trip.

Johnny Krawl

Rubi trip

A few of us are heading up Memorial day and coming out a few days later. You're welcome to join us, if you don't mind a few TJ's. :clap2:7

A few of us are heading up Memorial day and coming out a few days later. You're welcome to join us, if you don't mind a few TJ's. :clap2:7

Awesome I will take a look at the calendar and see if it lines up. We were planning on later in the summer but if it works out I will certainly keep you guys posted. Thank you for the invite!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is a real good possibility of significant snow on the trail this Memorial Day.

With over 30 ft of snow up there now and more coming down in the coming week, yep, I'd say there's a good possibility of impassible snow at least until Fathers Day.

With over 30 ft of snow up there now and more coming down in the coming week, yep, I'd say there's a good possibility of impassible snow at least until Fathers Day.

That was my thinking as well. Being in Salt Lake City my shop receives a lot of inbound shipments that have to come across Donners pass. The freight companies have been sending daily updates and I'd be surprised if it melted this century by the looks of it.

Top Bottom