Optima yellow top warranty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, yeah, the reason I'm looking to upgrade is that I now have a winch (not used that often) and recently purchased and ARB fridge.

My stock battery is the second one I've had in the Jeep. The first last just over two and half years. The current is closing in on the 2.5 year mark now.

Been following the deep cycle battery thread for a while. Trying to make sense of it all now without the die hard option. Is the odyssey the main option?

You know, I believe Interstate does make deep cycle batteries but I don't know if they make one in the right group size that you'd need for a JK. I might go down to your local Costco and see.

Otherwise, I have had good experiences with Odyssey but again, they are expensive.

JAGS

Hooked
You know, I believe Interstate does make deep cycle batteries but I don't know if they make one in the right group size that you'd need for a JK. I might go down to your local Costco and see.

Otherwise, I have had good experiences with Odyssey but again, they are expensive.

I will give that a look.

I'm not as worried about price as I am about quality. My first stock battery pooped out in the middle of a trail in big bear. Not fun!

If it costs a little more, but less worry running the new fridge soon and a winch pull here and there, it'd be worth it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I forget what sears battery I have, and was pissed I couldnt just get a new one...but after having it be nearly deal from sitting so long (I think my cb has a small draw, and 5 weeks in a shop) it was nearly dead. Quick jump and decent drive home and no issues. When hooked up to a battery charger however it wouldnt charge. Took it in, guy threw it on their charger and said it tested fine and if it happens again then I get a new one. All I know is its an AGM and is holding up fine, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. If I have another issue I will be going to a dual battery setup with hopefully odyssey batterys.

jesse3638

Hooked
There is a local battery store here in town that sells Dekka AGM batteries that come with a pretty decent warranty and cheaper than Odyssey. I put one in our UTV and go fire it up every few weeks. I had to jump it once because I hadn't started it and it fires up every time now.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
There is a local battery store here in town that sells Dekka AGM batteries that come with a pretty decent warranty and cheaper than Odyssey. I put one in our UTV and go fire it up every few weeks. I had to jump it once because I hadn't started it and it fires up every time now.

Deka is one of my good customers at work, and funny as they are local and have a small store, I have never been there but heard a few times about the AGM style they have that are very similar to the Odyssey. I really need to make a trip and actually check them out. Funny tho I dont think I ever really saw one of their batteries in any local stores....unless I never paid enough attention to them.

Sullivan

I current have a 2 year old interstate battery in my jeep. I've also run them in my trucks. They are a middle of the road battery. Mines about done for after 2 years but that's expected with all the bouncing and draw down while wheeling. I am going to try an Odyssey deep cycle next. Going to try to get one this week or next actually.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Breer

Caught the Bug
Yeah I just replaced my yellow top in my truck. It was 7 years old. I replaced it with an interstate from Costco. Figured for $89 with a 3.5 year full replacement warranty it was worth it..;)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Read through twice, maybe I missed it but need a battery for my CJ, current one crapped out the other day. Do you know if the warranty is through Costco or through interstate? I don't have a Costco anywhere near me.

jesse3638

Hooked
Read through twice, maybe I missed it but need a battery for my CJ, current one crapped out the other day. Do you know if the warranty is through Costco or through interstate? I don't have a Costco anywhere near me.

I believe it's directly through Costco. These stickers are also on the battery.

IMAG2186.jpg
IMAG2187.jpg

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Optimas are not what they used to, mine lasted about a year and a half of work in my jeep running a dual setup and a fridge 24/7 before bloating and one of them even leaking through the negative terminal.

Won't buy another Optima ever again...

IMG_3618.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I can't see spending crazy money on a battery like that that might might last the same as a lesser expensive one. I purchased one with higher cranking amps about 850 from AutoZone over two years ago. THe factory ones are about 600-650. This one works better with a winch. We were on a trip and had to get it jumped at a place on way to COS. Found an AutoZone there and told them I had purchased in NC. They looked at my record via phone number to prove it. They gave me a free replacement. Can't beat that. There are AutoZone's everywhere.

Bigjimbo

I ran blue tops in my boat.

Odessy in my light weight car (shaved almost 20lbs from stock).

In my Jeep I'm still stock, but my truck I have run batteries from advanced auto. Their batteries have serviced me well. As someone else mentioned Advanced are everywhere and 30% off coupons are not hard to find.

I have friends that swear by interstate.

jfdatlaw

I run the yellow tops in a few of my vehicles. The only failure I've had was when it was run completely dead by the dealer taking off the doors for 3 days and then I couldn't get it recharged. Then I got an education in the differences in the chargers. Yes, a regular battery charger will ruin an AGM battery by cooking it. The regular chargers can also see a deep cycle battery as incapable of being charged when it is just too low for a conventional charger which has a safety that prevents it from charging batteries that dip below a certain level. Deep cycles can go as low as 20% and still be recharged where a regular battery cannot. Optima has a video on how to trick the charger by connecting 2 batteries to the charger for a bit to allow the deep cycle to take a charger to a level that makes it work and then you take out the second battery. All of this presumes I guess that the charger is set at a safe level for an AGM. The video of the procedure was easy to find on YouTube.

CTEK is the company that makes the most popular AGM chargers. Most of the luxury car brands have their own CTEK chargers with their name on them. You can get one for $65 on Amazon. They also have a "reconditioning" feature that is supposed to bring a deep cycle battery back to life.

Top Bottom