One ARB w/ Hydro ram assist, or Both lockers and no steering assist?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Not so much a break but the most ANNOYING thing about RCV's is that they start to snap and pop loudly if you play hard enough on them. Fanboys will never admit to it but I see/hear it all the time. Moochie and RanchoRubi here on the forum both have them and can verify as much. Of course, RCV will tell you this is normal and if you want it fixed, you will have to pay for it. The other problem is that like any shaft, their splines can and will twist with hard play only, contrary to their best thing since sliced bread warranty that all the fanboys will try to sell you on, they won't warranty this. This is all fine and dandy except for the $400 premium you have to pay for them.

Thank you for the info. Would your recommendation be to just stick with pro rock 30 spline shafts? I am planning 37" tires in the near future, but no foreseeable plans for bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the info. Would your recommendation be to just stick with pro rock 30 spline shafts? I am planning 37" tires in the near future, but no foreseeable plans for bigger.

Everyone is gonna have their own opinion on this. I've run 35 spline RCV's in my 2009 JKU and up until recently, have been running 30 spline shafts on my 2012 JKU. Up until I hit about 80,000 miles, the passenger side shaft was still the OE one that came from the factory. I now run Alloy USA shafts but still carry my old shafts as spares. 35 spline is stronger but so far, I haven't seen the need for them. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so I'll leave the badasses out there to convince you of what you really need.

WJCO

Meme King
I chose the Dynatrac 1350 shafts because

a) I didn't want RCV.

b)Dyntrac was so helpful to me in the whole process, I wanted to support them by using their axle shafts.

c)they're a forum supporter.

d)they're already building the axle, so why not use them for parts they know will fit and were designed specifically for that axle.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have Ten Factory 30 spline in my PR44, had had them going on 3 yrs, also running PSC hydro-assist, 37's on beadlocks

also 2nd what WJCO said, Dynatrac wasn't making axle shafts when I bought my PR44.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The more I hear the more I think that I'm better off going 30 spline. I will of course be using Dynatrac shafts because they are made specifically to fit the prorock, and their reputation for quality is unmatched. Thank you every one for all the input.

benatc1

Hooked
The more I hear the more I think that I'm better off going 30 spline. I will of course be using Dynatrac shafts because they are made specifically to fit the prorock, and their reputation for quality is unmatched. Thank you every one for all the input.

if dynatrac made those shafts when I built mine I probably would have done the same.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
would be awesome to make it all happen, I have 35 spline upfront and would think even though the outers are smaller that a 35 spline would still give you a stronger inner shaft but I could be wrong

you can get a g2 gold in 35 spline but they don't fit quite right with the pr44, that was my original order, but ended up having to go RCVs because of fitment. from what I learned the only 35 spline shaft made to fit the pr44 correctly is the RCV.

according to Wes at Trail Jeeps he said they don't quite seat in all the way, also said that they "should be ok" but was recommending I use the RCVs. now at first I took this with a grain of salt as if he was just pushing them to make a bit more money and didn't want the RCVs mainly due to cost and things I have read, but that's what I ended up with. at the end of our convo the cost was a non factor due to the deal he gave me so I was happy in the end. I just wanted to make sure I had a good axle that was going to no cause me fitment issues. granted Neil seems to be doing just fine so doubt u can honestly go wrong either way. [/URL]

if dynatrac made those shafts when I built mine I probably would have done the same.

Ben, the advice you received is wrong on many levels and was a great way for them to sell you more axle shaft than needed. I spoke with Steve directly at Dynatrac and worked closely with Drew at Off Road Evolution. What is not being considered is the ARB locker model. Drew had my front axle specifically built with the RD157 locker, which profiles differently regarding lengths. The profile matches the stock shaft lengths just bigger. I researched this very heavily and was assured that the 35 spline G2 axles would work fine because they fit directly into a stock locker, just a bigger hole. My axle was quite different in that regard.

QuicksilverJK, avoid the RCV at all costs and get the 35 spline. I have an extra pair and so if you or I break, we are both covered. No worries.

Edited: corrected to the RD157 lockers, I had RD147 before.

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
Ben, the advice you received is wrong on many levels and was a great way for them to sell you more axle shaft than needed. I spoke with Steve directly at Dynatrac and worked closely with Drew at Off Road Evolution. What is not being considered is the ARB locker model. Drew had my front axle specifically built with the RD157 locker, which profiles differently regarding lengths. The profile matches the stock shaft lengths just bigger. I researched this very heavily and was assured that the 35 spline G2 axles would work fine because they fit directly into a stock locker, just a bigger hole. My axle was quite different in that regard.

QuicksilverJK, avoid the RCV at all costs and get the 35 spline. I have an extra pair and so if you or I break, we are both covered. No worries.

Edited: corrected to the RD157 lockers, I had RD147 before.
good to know, maybe I should have researched more before but it was kind of a last minute thing as my axle was about to head out the door and like I said it did not cost me any more money so it is what it is, I'm happy with my build and it's done well for me so far.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
good to know, maybe I should have researched more before but it was kind of a last minute thing as my axle was about to head out the door and like I said it did not cost me any more money so it is what it is, I'm happy with my build and it's done well for me so far.

That tactic was tried on me and I called bullshit. I was careful to monitor the build and even ordered an extra set of axles when I heard that the shop was having a hard time finding the 35 spline G2's. But I think your build is amazing and so you should have no worries at all.

I just can't wait for QuicksilverJK's build to get going again. He will be so happy. I can tell he is excited. And I plan to be there when the axles are put in.

Top Bottom