TECH TIP : Jeep JK Wrangler Headlight Adjustment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you've just installed a new set of headlights or, maybe even a taller suspension lift, there's a good chance that you'll need to make an adjustment to your headlight beams. Certainly, you don't want to be blinding on-coming traffic and having them positioned properly will help to ensure that the road ahead is illuminated properly. Fortunately, adjusting your headlights is a very simple task, takes just a few minutes and, this TECH TIP will show you how to do it.

What you will need
• Torx T-15 Bit
• 25′ Tape Measure
• Blue Masking Tape

What you will need to do
1. Park your Jeep 25′ back from a garage door or wall. Affix a strip of blue masking tape 3′ up from the ground. If you’ve just lifted your Jeep, you will see that your headlights are pointing above the tape as shown in this pic.
main.php

2. To adjust your headlights, you will need a Torx T-15 driver as shown in this pic. It is important that your driver is a stand alone tool and not an interchangeable universal driver that allows you attach different bits to it. Drivers of this nature will be to thick in diameter and will prevent you from accessing the adjustment screws.
main.php

3. Insert your Torx T-15 bit into the adjusting screw slot which is located on the outside of your Jeep JK Wrangler’s headlight. On the passenger side, this will be located at about the 10 o’clock position and on the driver side, at the 2 o’clock position as shown in this pic.
main.php

4. Using your Torx T-15 driver, turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise until your headlight is pointing just below the blue tape on the garage or wall you attached it to.
main.php

And that’s all there is to it, you’re done. You should now have headlights with beams that point where they should be and not into the eyes of on-coming traffic.

PLEASE NOTE: This write-up is based solely on what has worked for me. If you disagree with the method I have described here, please don't use it.

Holeshot

Banned
good and simple method. A bit different from the one used by chrysler though. I would add that you should make sure your tank is full, tire inflated correctly, and vehicule on a flat/level surface. :thumb: I know its just common sens but sometimes it's better having more information than not enough :brows:

Trail_Blaster

Gen 2 Trucklites adjusting horizontally

Excellent write up!

I have installed the second generation of the Trucklites and they form a X approximately 25' out. How do you adjust them horzontally? :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent write up!

I have installed the second generation of the Trucklites and they form a X approximately 25' out. How do you adjust them horzontally? :thinking:

There is no need to adjust them horizontally and, I'm not even sure the JK's have the ability to do so.

my_jk

People have been flashing me lately after I got the lift I guess its time to adjust them. I forgot how simple it was thanks for the writeup.

MTG

Caught the Bug
This method words perfectly! :thumb:

I was flashed a lot after my lift and did this when I installed my Trucklites...haven't been flashed once. ;)

Gibbo

Can't you adjust them down with the switch on the dash? I was getting flashed after my lift, and I went down two settings on the switch and the flashing stopped.

Gibbo

Can't you adjust them down with the switch on the dash? I was getting flashed after my lift, and I went down two settings on the switch and the flashing stopped.

I've since read the manual, and that switch is for adjustment with different loads and passengers. so I believe your better off to adjust the lights as above with switch on 0, then you still have the adjustment with different loads.:thumb:

j.house013

Yep... Got pulled over for this after I leveled my rake out. I was playing DD for the night but field sobriety tests suck, drunk or not.
Great write up!!

Top Bottom