Chains or no chains?

Rampart22

Ok gang, I'm about to venture into the snow to Tahoe in he next few days. A common mistake I've made in other vehicles dare I say the old Toyota pick up is, not carrying, chains that is. So my question for the group is what has been your experience with needing chains with the jeep. Will CHP require you to have them?

Any feed back is appreciated. Before I drop $ on chains for 35" mudders.

Cheers oh and merry Christmas, festivus and merry new year!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

If there is an inspection station, you will have to have either triple peak rated tires (BFG AT' or Blizzak's) or a set of chains. Stop in at a Led Schwab, they will fit them onto your tires for you to make sure they fit.

CHP will turn you around if there is ice on the ground. Also check the CALTRANS website before you leave.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

I've never been hassled about chains in a four wheel drive. I fucking hate chain/cables! If you get your mud tires siped they will actually do really well in rain and snow.

Journeyman

All terrains typically do a lot better than M/Ts because of all the siping. The BFG m/T basically have none and, from I've read on the internet, are terrible in any snow/ice.

I siped the the bfg's that came on my rubicon and they actually did amazing in the rain and snow after that. And they wore evenly after that also.

ob_tj

I just crossed highway 88 a couple weeks back in the big storm. I have the BFG KO2s and chp didn't pay any attention to me. I didn't even get stopped.

WJCO

Meme King
I don't have any experience with chains but my BFG MT's are horrible in snow, especially hard pack snow/ice. They make my jeep slide all over the place.

How about the BFG MT vs the pro comp all terrain in the snow

All terrains typically do a lot better than M/Ts because of all the siping. The BFG m/T basically have none and, from I've read on the internet, are terrible in any snow/ice.

As far as snow, the BFG MTs suck major donkey balls. I know from personal experience.....about the tires, that is.

Journeyman

Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?

I had a tire shop do it in flagstaff Arizona on a trip out to Colorado from so cal. They have a Machine that does it. Only takes a few minutes but it's kind of a pain trying to find a place that can do it. The couple shops I called in so cal didn't even know what I was talking about.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
When chains are "required" it is on 2wd without true snow tires. 4wd with m+s rated are allowed to pass. When chain controls go to "mandatory" on all vehicles, the freeway normally gets shut down shortly after because of wrecks. I don't carry chains in any of my 4wd vehicles and I am in and out of Tahoe all the time.

Top Bottom