Chains or no chains?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I had a tire shop do it in flagstaff Arizona on a trip out to Colorado from so cal. They have a Machine that does it. Only takes a few minutes but it's kind of a pain trying to find a place that can do it. The couple shops I called in so cal didn't even know what I was talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the info. Sound like I probably wouldn't be able to find anything in my neck of the woods.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I hate chains, the only two times I have ever put them on were in CA and I spun out both times.

First time i was in high school on the way up to Kirkwood trying to avoid a snow plow coming the other way.

Second time I was driving back from Denver to Sacramento and hit snow in every state, CA made me chain up at Truckee, after I spun out one of the tensioners broke and wrapped the chain around the front axle. Ended up cutting the chains off and driving down without them. Could have saved myself the hassle and told the guy the car was AWD. Live and learn.

J

JKDream

I hate chains, the only two times I have ever put them on were in CA and I spun out both times.

First time i was in high school on the way up to Kirkwood trying to avoid a snow plow coming the other way.

Second time I was driving back from Denver to Sacramento and hit snow in every state, CA made me chain up at Truckee, after I spun out one of the tensioners broke and wrapped the chain around the front axle. Ended up cutting the chains off and driving down without them. Could have saved myself the hassle and told the guy the car was AWD. Live and learn.

Were you using the cable-type chains?
Those are awful lol
I use v-bars, the traction on snow and ice is insane.

daddyusmaximus

I'm pretty old school. I like tire chains for snow driving. Mud terrain tires are only great in snow if you're driving through 6" or 8" of fresh snow, but horrible for packed snow or ice on roads. I hate using chains because they are heavy, expensive, and hard to mess with, but I've seen nothing else that works better. At least they can go off and on easier and less expensive than a dedicated set of winter tires.

Top Bottom