Which one??

I have, what may seem a no brainier, but I'm torn between a Sahara with auto and 3.21s, and a JKU with 3.73 trac-lock and 6spd. I like the ride of Sahara, even though it is 2dr. Any and all opinions will be read. Live in Midwest, so what little off-roading will be mostly rocks and mud. Overlanding kinda stuff. Thanx in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkratt

I have a JKU with the 3.73 trac-lock although it's an automatic. I can stuff a lot into it and like the longer wheelbase. Can't imagine a two door but I also have two kids to stuff in there maybe that's why. I run a budget boost with 35's that measure out around 33.25 inches. The 3.73 is a bit more forgiving than the 3.21 gears. My only advice I can really give you, decide first what you want your jeep to do and or how you want it to look. One thing I have learned, it sucks paying for extras twice when you start changing modification. Either way, just enjoy it.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I've owned several of each. A CJ7, 2 door JK and a few JKUs. All I can do is share my opinion/perspective. I love the look of a 2 door on 35s, and the capabilities. In the end, I'll always own a JKU. The wheelbase has more advantages than disadvantages as far as ride quality, comfort, room for gear, etc. I daily drive my Jeeps and it's nice having room for family, friends, colleagues, gear, and generally just shit life brings up. Getting the kids into the back seat of my 2 doors was a pain in the ass, and I ended up just not running one. It was basically a 1 seater. Ultimately, it was the significant difference of ride quality on the road, where I drive it every day, that made the decision easy.
Off road, an unlimited will have a break over disadvantage to a 2 door, but as I'm sure you've seen here, there are ways to work with that to do as much hardcore wheeling as you want. An unlimited will have advantages of stability at speed, climbs, descents, and seem to fare better on big ledges as well.
If it were me, I'd figure out first if I need or want the room, and what type of wheeling I'd be doing. Obviously, I chose to stick with 4 doors for my personal situation. Good lick and let us know what you decide!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It has been said by every poster, but you need to decide how many doors you want. Neither one has optimal gearing for tires sized 35 and up, so you'd need to at the least, regear each of them. I've had JK's with manual & automatic transmissions, and either is fine with me.

Top Bottom