Close

Getting daughter her first car

Looking to get my daughter her first car and was looking to get her a XJ, or WJ. I was aiming towards a XJ since the 4.0L is a really solid motor and was just wondering what years to stay away from, and mostly what issues I need to look for.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block ChiliDawg's Avatar
    I want to say you wanna avoid the pre-92 XJ models because it was before the High Output motor and I THINK (someone correct me) there were issues with the blocks cracking on year models up the second half of 91'.

I had a 91 MJ and a 00' XJ. Both served me well. That said, a WJ would probably be more comfortable for your daughter as they are more spacious and comfortable. My mom still drives one with close to 200k miles on it. It's had its maintenance issues but nothing crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDawg View Post
    I want to say you wanna avoid the pre-92 XJ models because it was before the High Output motor and I THINK (someone correct me) there were issues with the blocks cracking on year models up the second half of 91'.

I had a 91 MJ and a 00' XJ. Both served me well. That said, a WJ would probably be more comfortable for your daughter as they are more spacious and comfortable. My mom still drives one with close to 200k miles on it. It's had its maintenance issues but nothing crazy.

Is the 4.7 a good motor? I found a WJ for a decent price with the 4.7?

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot94Z28 View Post
    Is the 4.7 a good motor? I found a WJ for a decent price with the 4.7?

That's the only way I'd want one.

Is WJ's easy to work on? I'm thinking of a XJ, or WJ cause of price and I live in a rural area and want her to be able to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    That's the only way I'd want one.

How is the six cylinder in them?

The WJ is a very comfortable vehicle. The v8 has a lot of power. Don't really know of any issues with it, if it is maintained well. The 6 cylinder is a 4.0 which is a good motor as well. But the both get about the same mpg, so go for the v8. The engine area with the v8 is tight to work in, but that's about it. Any vehicle that old will require upkeep and maintenance. Both vehicles also have decent aftermarket support for modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    The WJ is a very comfortable vehicle. The v8 has a lot of power. Don't really know of any issues with it, if it is maintained well. The 6 cylinder is a 4.0 which is a good motor as well. But the both get about the same mpg, so go for the v8. The engine area with the v8 is tight to work in, but that's about it. Any vehicle that old will require upkeep and maintenance. Both vehicles also have decent aftermarket support for modifications.
    I don't know if I want her to have a V8, I have heard nothing but good out about the 4.0L.

Knows a Thing or Two NecessaryEvil's Avatar
    WJ comes in either a 4.0 or a 4.7. Both get about the same fuel economy. Both are easy to work on as far as normal maintenance and repairs. I can personally tell you the quadradrive model is one of the best vehicles I have driven in the snow with good tires. WJ probably a bit better choice IMO. However, I would still drive a XJ.

With the WJ be aware of the fuel tank issues. A good aftermarket bumper with fuel skid might help

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsne...fety-concerns/