"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Personally, I have a Warn 8274... Bought it about 20 years ago and I was not the first owner.... I remember when I bought it a friend who showed me the offer, $850 with a mounting plate for my YJ, said it was a good deal as the winch was virtually new (new'ish cable) and only used a couple times (mall crawler I think). He also, and this is specific however to the 8274, said it would be the last winch I would ever buy... Truthfully it is also the first.....

Currently it is being rebuilt (slowly by myself). The only real reason is I wanted to crack it open and see the guts and know it... Over the years and spending 2 winters in North Chicago at Naval Training Center, the salt took its toll on the solenoids. Mine uses the older style RV solenoids that can be had for about $20 each (need 4) on amazon. However I am just going to buy the newer style since my cover is cracked. I once got the controller cable in something and cut it so it is now spliced back, etc... Needless to say everything still works including the motor... If you can afford it but a used 8274 and rebuild but beware that almost all bumpers will have a problem fitting it... I just talked with LOD and was happy to find that his front Destroyer bumper has something like 19 inches where that drop deck on it is... More than enough to make a winch plate for my 8274 :clap2:

Can you get a replacement cover?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Personally, I have a Warn 8274... Bought it about 20 years ago and I was not the first owner.... I remember when I bought it a friend who showed me the offer, $850 with a mounting plate for my YJ, said it was a good deal as the winch was virtually new (new'ish cable) and only used a couple times (mall crawler I think). He also, and this is specific however to the 8274, said it would be the last winch I would ever buy... Truthfully it is also the first.....

Currently it is being rebuilt (slowly by myself). The only real reason is I wanted to crack it open and see the guts and know it... Over the years and spending 2 winters in North Chicago at Naval Training Center, the salt took its toll on the solenoids. Mine uses the older style RV solenoids that can be had for about $20 each (need 4) on amazon. However I am just going to buy the newer style since my cover is cracked. I once got the controller cable in something and cut it so it is now spliced back, etc... Needless to say everything still works including the motor... If you can afford it but a used 8274 and rebuild but beware that almost all bumpers will have a problem fitting it... I just talked with LOD and was happy to find that his front Destroyer bumper has something like 19 inches where that drop deck on it is... More than enough to make a winch plate for my 8274 :clap2:

Possibly the greatest winch in history...my dad had a Bellevue, which was the predecessor to the 8274...

There is a company in the UK called Red Winches that make competition performance upgrades for the 8274 with gear sets for 40% faster retrieval speed & air brakes that allow instant stop and for use in line out power winch situations...pricey, but definitely the Cadillac of winches

Possibly the greatest winch in history...my dad had a Bellevue, which was the predecessor to the 8274...

There is a company in the UK called Red Winches that make competition performance upgrades for the 8274 with gear sets for 40% faster retrieval speed & air brakes that allow instant stop and for use in line out power winch situations...pricey, but definitely the Cadillac of winches

Yeah.... They seem to be very popular in the UK... There is another company from the UK I saw called Gigglepin 4x4 that also make many upgrades for it including higher hardening on the gears, different gear sets, dual and quad motor tops, etc... I also seen some picture of even a different company in Germany that has massive mods for it...

Just like the person that offered me the chance to buy it said, "it is the last winch you will ever buy or need". His intent was that you will never have reason to change to anything else.... Now, the only problem is that traditional winches nowadays use a saddle mount while the 8274 mounts from the front.... Makes finding bumpers a royal pain in the butt... But (no pun), I still believe it is worth it... I understand that the LOD Destroyer front bumper's drop deck will be wide enough to fabricate a winch mount :clap2: ....

RioGrandeJK

I would have loved to buy a warn but it just wasn't in the cards. Especially since I wanted synthetic for the weight savings. I ended up going with an ENGO. I based a lot of my decision on the fourwheel winch shoot out. Over the last two years I used it hard with no issues. Only complaints I have are that it's loud as shit and the decals fade in 5 minutes.

TheGrendel

i went Warn M series. still made in America. even though i rarely, rarely have need for it. but, i want to know it is going to work when that day comes.

aermotor

Thought I'd bump this up as Warn is having a rebate right now:

$50 off VR
$100 off Zeon
$200 off Platinum

That puts the non-synthetic VR10 at $550 and a Zeon 10 at $880 which isn't half bad.

Also some info that's new to me, I guess Warn changed their warranty policy from 1 year to 7 years on electrical for all winches purchased AFTER November 1, 2016 and limited lifetime on all mechanical. That's saying a lot, even for the VR line.

• Electrical components covered by the seven (7) year Limited Warranty: motor, contactor, solenoid, handheld remote controls, wireless remote controls, wiring.
  • All other mechanical components are covered by the Limited Lifetime Warranty except as listed below

Warranty PDF here: https://www.warn.com/manuals/assets/pdf/15119_K1_Truck Winch Product Warranty .pdf

Rebate PDF here: https://www.warn.com/assets/pdf/rebate/April2017_bumperr_rebate_form.pdf

Last edited:

trailraider

Warn winches period!
long story short

i have a zeon i needed to remove and the top post contact was corroded. i used my socket and spun the motor connections off the bottom. winch is two years old never had a issue. called Warn to order replacement parts to fix. this was an issue I caused. not a defect by any means. Warn sent me a motor as a courtesy. i never asked and expected to pay for my blunder. they stand by the product along with the quality. for me that's worth it right there. i had the motor in two weeks and i repaired it right away. the customer service experience was fantastic. you may get a lifetime on the cheaper ones but if you continually need to use it , whats the point?

the picture posted is winch #2 for the guy and he doesn't know why it keeps breaking. maybe its mounted to a smittybilt bumper and the plate is warped. who knows?would i trust it over a matter of a little difference in price? no. more people get hung up on the price and forget about the safety factor a winch plays.in my opinion , if you are buying a cheap winch save yourself more money and just buy a come along.

shitty built winch.jpg

TRLJNKY

Thought I'd bump this up as Warn is having a rebate right now:

$50 off VR
$100 off Zeon
$200 off Platinum

That puts the non-synthetic VR10 at $550 and a Zeon 10 at $880 which isn't half bad.

Also some info that's new to me, I guess Warn changed their warranty policy from 1 year to 7 years on electrical for all winches purchased AFTER November 1, 2016 and limited lifetime on all mechanical. That's saying a lot, even for the VR line.

• Electrical components covered by the seven (7) year Limited Warranty: motor, contactor, solenoid, handheld remote controls, wireless remote controls, wiring.
  • All other mechanical components are covered by the Limited Lifetime Warranty except as listed below

Warranty PDF here: https://www.warn.com/manuals/assets/pdf/15119_K1_Truck Winch Product Warranty .pdf

Rebate PDF here: https://www.warn.com/assets/pdf/rebate/April2017_bumperr_rebate_form.pdf
Rat bastards! I just bought a warn in March. Just outside of the rebate lol. Typical luck for this guy

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

whatsupdoc2day

Look at the warn winch...China will be stamped on plate, and Mexico also makes them...its not all american but maybe logo is

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

Top Bottom