Close

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NotInStock View Post
    Personally, I have a Warn 8274... Bought it about 20 years ago and I was not the first owner.... I remember when I bought it a friend who showed me the offer, $850 with a mounting plate for my YJ, said it was a good deal as the winch was virtually new (new'ish cable) and only used a couple times (mall crawler I think). He also, and this is specific however to the 8274, said it would be the last winch I would ever buy... Truthfully it is also the first.....

Currently it is being rebuilt (slowly by myself). The only real reason is I wanted to crack it open and see the guts and know it... Over the years and spending 2 winters in North Chicago at Naval Training Center, the salt took its toll on the solenoids. Mine uses the older style RV solenoids that can be had for about $20 each (need 4) on amazon. However I am just going to buy the newer style since my cover is cracked. I once got the controller cable in something and cut it so it is now spliced back, etc... Needless to say everything still works including the motor... If you can afford it but a used 8274 and rebuild but beware that almost all bumpers will have a problem fitting it... I just talked with LOD and was happy to find that his front Destroyer bumper has something like 19 inches where that drop deck on it is... More than enough to make a winch plate for my 8274
    Can you get a replacement cover?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haven't read this thread but take my advice, go warn. Period. If it were me, I'd save more money .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by deezus; 01-22-2017 at 02:10 AM.

I have a Shittybilt and it has not let me down yet.👍

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

I love the warns and plan on upgrading my smittybilt 12,000 to a warn power plant

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Can you get a replacement cover?

Yeah I believe I could but the whole relay kit with the newer improved relay is about $200.... It comes with cover, relay, new controller... a little more expensive but would essentially bring my 20+ year old 8274 with the current model of the 8274...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using WAYALIFE mobile app
    NotInStock

2016 Rubi JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" RK X-Factor, Fox Shocks, Dynatrac PR44 Front Axle, ATX Chamber Pros, BFG 35x12.5x17.
    Build Thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...Rubi-Hard-Rock

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Yeah I believe I could but the whole relay kit with the newer improved relay is about $200.... It comes with cover, relay, new controller... a little more expensive but would essentially bring my 20+ year old 8274 with the current model of the 8274...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Cool. Post up some pics, when you get finished.

Personally, I have a Warn 8274... Bought it about 20 years ago and I was not the first owner.... I remember when I bought it a friend who showed me the offer, $850 with a mounting plate for my YJ, said it was a good deal as the winch was virtually new (new'ish cable) and only used a couple times (mall crawler I think). He also, and this is specific however to the 8274, said it would be the last winch I would ever buy... Truthfully it is also the first.....

Currently it is being rebuilt (slowly by myself). The only real reason is I wanted to crack it open and see the guts and know it... Over the years and spending 2 winters in North Chicago at Naval Training Center, the salt took its toll on the solenoids. Mine uses the older style RV solenoids that can be had for about $20 each (need 4) on amazon. However I am just going to buy the newer style since my cover is cracked. I once got the controller cable in something and cut it so it is now spliced back, etc... Needless to say everything still works including the motor... If you can afford it but a used 8274 and rebuild but beware that almost all bumpers will have a problem fitting it... I just talked with LOD and was happy to find that his front Destroyer bumper has something like 19 inches where that drop deck on it is... More than enough to make a winch plate for my 8274
    Possibly the greatest winch in history...my dad had a Bellevue, which was the predecessor to the 8274...

There is a company in the UK called Red Winches that make competition performance upgrades for the 8274 with gear sets for 40% faster retrieval speed & air brakes that allow instant stop and for use in line out power winch situations...pricey, but definitely the Cadillac of winches

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Possibly the greatest winch in history...my dad had a Bellevue, which was the predecessor to the 8274...

There is a company in the UK called Red Winches that make competition performance upgrades for the 8274 with gear sets for 40% faster retrieval speed & air brakes that allow instant stop and for use in line out power winch situations...pricey, but definitely the Cadillac of winches

Yeah.... They seem to be very popular in the UK... There is another company from the UK I saw called Gigglepin 4x4 that also make many upgrades for it including higher hardening on the gears, different gear sets, dual and quad motor tops, etc... I also seen some picture of even a different company in Germany that has massive mods for it...

Just like the person that offered me the chance to buy it said, "it is the last winch you will ever buy or need". His intent was that you will never have reason to change to anything else.... Now, the only problem is that traditional winches nowadays use a saddle mount while the 8274 mounts from the front.... Makes finding bumpers a royal pain in the butt... But (no pun), I still believe it is worth it... I understand that the LOD Destroyer front bumper's drop deck will be wide enough to fabricate a winch mount ....
    NotInStock

2016 Rubi JKU Hard Rock, 3.5" RK X-Factor, Fox Shocks, Dynatrac PR44 Front Axle, ATX Chamber Pros, BFG 35x12.5x17.
    Build Thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...Rubi-Hard-Rock

I would have loved to buy a warn but it just wasn't in the cards. Especially since I wanted synthetic for the weight savings. I ended up going with an ENGO. I based a lot of my decision on the fourwheel winch shoot out. Over the last two years I used it hard with no issues. Only complaints I have are that it's loud as shit and the decals fade in 5 minutes.

2014 - JKU - 6 sp

Caught the Bug
    i went Warn M series. still made in America. even though i rarely, rarely have need for it. but, i want to know it is going to work when that day comes.