Home remedies/DIY thread

longarmwj

So I came down with a cold, and not one of the small ones. The kind that stops you dead in your tracks and says "fuck you and your life for the next week". Fever, chills, sore throat, blocked nose and all. I don't like to go to the doctor unless it's something obviously more severe than a cold, so I use a lot of home remedies. Stuff like gargle hot salt water, drinking hot ginger and lemon tea, shot of whisky with lemon and honey (or 2...or 3...), and the age old "stick your face over a pot of boiling water" trick. I've found that it does indeed shorten the length of a cold, and it does help me feel somewhat better during my day. That got me thinking of this thread though. What kind of home remedies or DIY "fixes" do you use for stuff? It doesn't have to be health related.

WJCO

Meme King
One that really works for my respiratory issues is orange peel tea. You just steep pieces of orange peel in really hot water on the stove for about 15 minutes and then drink it. It works really well.

longarmwj

One that really works for my respiratory issues is orange peel tea. You just steep pieces of orange peel in really hot water on the stove for about 15 minutes and then drink it. It works really well.

I'm gonna need to try that one!

Ddays

Hooked
Zicam works on colds IF you start the minute you first feel that scratchy feeling in the back of your sinuses. If you wait until you stop at the store then its too late. Forget about using it
the following day because you're screwed by then...

jamesrw30

One I really like is if you burn yourself, especially in the kitchen on a hot pan or something, go grab the yellow mustard. It helps take the pain out. Most likely still have a place but won't hurt near as badly. Last cold I had I used the generic Mucinex liquid. A regular regiment made a big difference for me.

jesse3638

Hooked
Zicam works on colds IF you start the minute you first feel that scratchy feeling in the back of your sinuses. If you wait until you stop at the store then its too late. Forget about using it
the following day because you're screwed by then...

I have a similar practice except I start vitamin C and zinc tablets. A bottle of each are significantly cheaper (around $5 for both) than Zicam, Airborne and the like. High amounts of vitamin C will not do much without zinc. I swear by it as it has significantly reduced the duration of my colds. Also my daughter's pediatrician recommends using honey for a cough suppressant. Take one large tablespoon as needed. She sighted side by side comparisons between honey and the leading OTC cough medicines with the honey resulting in much better results. I tried it not believing it and it really does help. Plus kids are more inclined to like honey over cough medicine..:icon_crazy:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have asthma problems. One big thing that always helped me was shutting the bathroom door and running the water as hot as it'll go and just sitting in the steam. Similar to the machines the hospital gives you, but you don't have to leave your house :)

Ddays

Hooked
I have a similar practice except I start vitamin C and zinc tablets. A bottle of each are significantly cheaper (around $5 for both) than Zicam, Airborne and the like. High amounts of vitamin C will not do much without zinc. I swear by it as it has significantly reduced the duration of my colds. Also my daughter's pediatrician recommends using honey for a cough suppressant. Take one large tablespoon as needed. She sighted side by side comparisons between honey and the leading OTC cough medicines with the honey resulting in much better results. I tried it not believing it and it really does help. Plus kids are more inclined to like honey over cough medicine..:icon_crazy:

Never heard that about honey. Might have to try that out. i have a buddy that has his own hives that I get my honey from. I'll have to ask him if he ever heard that one.

sparks

So I came down with a cold, and not one of the small ones. The kind that stops you dead in your tracks and says "fuck you and your life for the next week". Fever, chills, sore throat, blocked nose and all. I don't like to go to the doctor unless it's something obviously more severe than a cold, so I use a lot of home remedies. Stuff like gargle hot salt water, drinking hot ginger and lemon tea, shot of whisky with lemon and honey (or 2...or 3...), and the age old "stick your face over a pot of boiling water" trick. I've found that it does indeed shorten the length of a cold, and it does help me feel somewhat better during my day. That got me thinking of this thread though. What kind of home remedies or DIY "fixes" do you use for stuff? It doesn't have to be health related.

Neti Pot .. I think I spelled it right. I wasn't a believer until I saw a huge glop of snot come out of my otherwise dry nose.

Also, there's a fruit called Mangosteen.. they make the juice. Go get some of that and down a bottle.

Oh, and 2 few puffs of weed and call me in the morning

longarmwj

Neti Pot .. I think I spelled it right. I wasn't a believer until I saw a huge glop of snot come out of my otherwise dry nose.

Also, there's a fruit called Mangosteen.. they make the juice. Go get some of that and down a bottle.

Oh, and 2 few puffs of weed and call me in the morning

Never thought of using one of those pots. I'm not sure how I would like the sensation of hot water being run through my head though :thinking:

And LOL!!! I gotta keep my job :cheesy::cheesy:

longarmwj

How you feelin?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Much better today. Throat stopped hurting and I'm not as stopped up as I was. Upping my vitamin C intake I think helped some, plus lots of fluids (more then I normally drink). I actually feel like a normal human being for the first time in about a week :cheesy:

Top Bottom