Pinion yoke to axle centerline on XD60

PATRIOTKJM

Would off the shelf Reel driveshaft be the correct length with pro rock 60? Just wondering if I have to get them shortened a bit with 60 swap or if distance to pinion doesn't change from Dana 30/44 to 60.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mtb275

I just put in a PR60 and have Reel 1350 drive shafts. No issues. I haven't flexed it out yet, but appears to be fine.

Edit- and FYI, my Jeep is a JKU.

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I just put in a PR60 and have Reel 1350 drive shafts. No issues. I haven't flexed it out yet, but appears to be fine.

Your driveshaft is probably too long and needs to be adjusted..

If your concerned about it, or want it right, take the appropriate measurements and take your shafts to a shop to have them adjusted.

Mtb275

Your driveshaft is probably too long and needs to be adjusted..

If your concerned about it, or want it right, take the appropriate measurements and take your shafts to a shop to have them adjusted.

Interesting, I look into that. Any idea what measurements should be? If I measure yoke at pinion to connection on tranny, how much shorter (collapsible) should driveshaft be?

Not sure if I worded that correctly.......

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Interesting, I look into that. Any idea what measurements should be? If I measure yoke at pinion to connection on tranny, how much shorter (collapsible) should driveshaft be?

Not sure if I worded that correctly.......

Get a hold of your local driveshaft shop and they will probably have a form for you to fill out that tells you what measurements they need. Since you already have them installed and are driving on them though, you might be able to take it to them and have them figure it out. Firsts things first, find a shop

Mtb275

Get a hold of your local driveshaft shop and they will probably have a form for you to fill out that tells you what measurements they need. Since you already have them installed and are driving on them though, you might be able to take it to them and have them figure it out. Firsts things first, find a shop

Thanks. Just was wondering if there was a simple formula.

I will call a shop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would off the shelf Reel driveshaft be the correct length with pro rock 60? Just wondering if I have to get them shortened a bit with 60 swap or if distance to pinion doesn't change from Dana 30/44 to 60

No, it would not work. The ProRock 60 is longer and you would need to have the shaft made to a shorter length.

Edit- and FYI, my Jeep is a JKU.

You might be fine at ride height but you will bottom out your shaft when flexing.

dchew

Caught the Bug
^^ Yup. I just had 1-1/2" removed from my JE Reel shaft because of the switch from the stock 44 to a PR 60. My limit straps would not go tight because the driveshaft was binding at full droop (std EVO lever in the rear). Pushed the cap right out of the slip yoke.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mtb275

Glad I came across this thread. I had no idea I had to shorten DL. My wife has been driving Jeep around town Monday and today. I was under the Jeep last night and didn't notice anything unusual, so hopefully no damage has been done. I will pull it tonight and take it in tomorrow.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Glad I came across this thread. I had no idea I had to shorten DL. My wife has been driving Jeep around town Monday and today. I was under the Jeep last night and didn't notice anything unusual, so hopefully no damage has been done. I will pull it tonight and take it in tomorrow.

As a reference, My JE Reel had only about 1/2" of play when sitting at normal ride height. Now there is 2".

Dave

Mtb275

I bet you were fine driving it around town. Unless your wife was chasing Mel Wade through the desert.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, I think so as well. I don't know the technical term, but the cap that is at the end of the splice yoke is still there, so the DL never bottomed out.

And I won't be chasing Mel in the desert anytime soon.[emoji16]

Mtb275

Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know the outcome. I marked the DL where it was running when it was hooked up. Dropped is and I took the DL into the driveline shop. Driveline shop called and said they would only cut about 1/2" off. They said I would likely be fine for most wheeling. But to be safe I had him cut the 1/2" off. Very reputable Driveline place in Fresno and they only charged me $90 to cut and rebalance.

After I reinstalled the DL, I re measured and I think they took closer to 5/8", so I have 1 -7/8" in play.

Top Bottom