Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Water does compress. It takes 300k psi to compress it 1%. Sorry I teach hydraulics..haha

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Oh geeze! Now you've done it! WJCO is gonna want to see this!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Lol. Never heard that, but I trust you. I thought the first law of hydraulics was "A liquid cannot be compressed." Educate me, I'm curious.
    That's essentially true for most "normal" applications, but even in physics, laws are meant to be broken at some point. He said 1% at 300000 psi. That's a barely noticeable change at 20,000x atmospheric pressure.

Water is unique because it reaches its smallest volume/highest density at 4 degrees C, so technically it compresses (contracts is prolly a better word) as it warms or cools to that point even without changing pressure. And expands as it moves away from that point. It's a very small amount and if contained, that small amount can exert an astounding amount of pressure. That's why we have expansion joints/tanks on our water heaters. And also why, for the most part, it's considered incompressible.

Once it reaches 0 degrees all hell breaks loose. All this is a good thing, since otherwise our oceans would freeze from the bottom making it much more difficult for life to take hold.

Now you're gonna start calling me Prime9.

Dave

IMG_0127.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by dchew; 01-11-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    That's essentially true for most "normal" applications, but even in physics, laws are meant to be broken at some point. He said 1% at 300000 psi. That's a barely noticeable change at 20,000x atmospheric pressure.

Water is unique because it reaches its smallest volume/highest density at 4 degrees C, so technically it compresses (contracts is prolly a better word) as it warms or cools to that point even without changing pressure. And expands as it moves away from that point. It's a very small amount and if contained, that small amount can exert an astounding amount of pressure. That's why we have expansion joints/tanks on our water heaters. And also why, for the most part, it's considered incompressible.

Once it reaches 0 degrees all hell breaks loose. All this is a good thing, since otherwise our oceans would freeze from the bottom making it much more difficult for life to take hold.

Dave

IMG_0127.JPG

Lol. Awesome info.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post

Dave

IMG_0127.JPG

Truly fascinating!

Lol. Awesome info.
    Compression at that level creates ice that is hotter than the boiling point of water. Neat shit!

This thread forced me to do a google search and read up on this.
    Learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by 12-mile View Post
    This thread forced me to do a google search and read up on this.
    Learn something new every day.

Me too. Fricking school system taught me some bullshit

Me too. Fricking school system taught me some bullshit
    They rarely teach all the info. They taught is that water boils at 212F (100C), but didn't tell us that was only part of the statement.
    I didn't learn that there was a relationship between temperature and pressure until after I joined the Navy.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mstraw9379 View Post
    They rarely teach all the info. They taught is that water boils at 212F (100C), but didn't tell us that was only part of the statement.
    I didn't learn that there was a relationship between temperature and pressure until after I joined the Navy.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    WJCO learned that the first time he tried to cook something in Colorado and it took 20% longer...

Dave

Nothing but a Thing mudmobeeler's Avatar

Rescued a jeep from mud that won't start now

You might pull the starter off and pull it apart to see if it's packed with mud. A buddy decided to jump a k5 across a small pond. It nose planted into the mud. Once we got it out, it wouldn't start. Starter just clicked. We pulled the starter and it was packed with mud. Cleaned it and she fired right up.

Just a thought.
    2014 JKUR named NORDNDD.

Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ing-of-NoRdNdd