Rough Country 3.5 suspension lift kit reviews

Chandler LeSueur

Looking at lifting my JKU. Looking to hear from people that actually have or have had the kit. Hearing mixed reviews from the Web, don't want to put a kit on my Jeep and then have to turn around and keep buying new shocks etc.. The other brands I had in mind were Rubicon Express, Quadratec and AEV.

black pearl

Hooked
Looking at lifting my JKU. Looking to hear from people that actually have or have had the kit. Hearing mixed reviews from the Web, don't want to put a kit on my Jeep and then have to turn around and keep buying new shocks etc.. The other brands I had in mind were Rubicon Express, Quadratec and AEV.

I'm thinking of switching out my springs to the evo plush ride

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

I had a Rough Country 2.5 coil lift on a 2dr JK and and it was just that, "Rough".

Don't get me wrong, when I had trucks that were lifted with Rough Country parts they were fine, but their coil springs for the Jeep JK are pretty rough riding.

Bustedback

I have the Rough Country 3.5 kit on my 2012 Rubicon JKU. I'm very happy with it. The ride is nice and the handling doesn't feel any different than stock. I also installed an adjustable front track bar so I didn't have to use a relocation bracket and drop pitman arm. It's a nice kit for the price.

Chandler LeSueur

I have the Rough Country 3.5 kit on my 2012 Rubicon JKU. I'm very happy with it. The ride is nice and the handling doesn't feel any different than stock. I also installed an adjustable front track bar so I didn't have to use a relocation bracket and drop pitman arm. It's a nice kit for the price.

Any increased death wobble?

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

woof359

getting my caster back

my 2 1/2 iinch RC lift just came with shocks and springs, I'm going to add the brackets to relocated the control arm so I get my caster back. Otherwise no complaints

my 2 1/2 iinch RC lift just came with shocks and springs, I'm going to add the brackets to relocated the control arm so I get my caster back. Otherwise no complaints
Assuming you wheel your jeep, id think twice before buying the LCA brackets. Your going to lose the ground clearence that you lifted your jeep to gain. Youll be way better off doing adjustable LCAs.

Hey there. I'm not going to try and push you into one brand or another, if you want me to make a sales pitch I will [emoji6], but I would take a good look around here a check out what guys on this forum are running and come to your own conclusions.

My $.02. Save up for a few more months and buy something nice, and by nice I don't mean coilovers and silliness unless you really want to drop some coin, I mean just a good, conventional short arm kit. Your suspension is one of the most important performance aspects of your Jeep and something you live with every day.

Chandler LeSueur

Hey there. I'm not going to try and push you into one brand or another, if you want me to make a sales pitch I will [emoji6], but I would take a good look around here a check out what guys on this forum are running and come to your own conclusions.

My $.02. Save up for a few more months and buy something nice, and by nice I don't mean coilovers and silliness unless you really want to drop some coin, I mean just a good, conventional short arm kit. Your suspension is one of the most important performance aspects of your Jeep and something you live with every day.
Rubicon Express is standing out. I've heard monotube shocks are better than twin tube, is this right?

Ddays

Hooked
Rubicon Express is standing out.

Good Lord no! If you drive a dump truck for a living then you will think a RE kit rides nice. Otherwise keep looking.

Look at the EVO Enforcer kits with their plush ride coils. Please.

Edit: Or give Trail Jeeps a call - they sound like they are ready to offer you something - give 'em a call & see what they recommend?

Last edited:

Chandler LeSueur

Good Lord no! If you drive a dump truck for a living then you will think a RE kit rides nice. Otherwise keep looking.

Edit: Or give Trail Jeeps a call - they sound like they are ready to offer you something - give 'em a call & see what they recommend?
Even with sport kit with all the geometry correction brackets?

Chandler LeSueur

I'm not looking to climb mountains, most of the offroading I do is the beach or some dirt/gravel trails

austin160

I am currently running a RC 2.5. It rides ok, and will get you in the woods. I have followed guys that are running coilovers and high dollar suspensions. However, after running it for a year it is starting to squeak, my suspension geometry is not 100%, and it isn't forgiving on bumps. I know its a jeep not a Cadillac, which was my argument when buying it. If you want something that will work offroad and give you some clearance on a small budget it will work. Otherwise, save up for something else. Metalcloak and AEV and Rock Krawler are my top three, leaning towards MC for the fact it looks to be the most complete package.

Ddays

Hooked
Even with sport kit with all the geometry correction brackets?

I'm not looking to climb mountains, most of the offroading I do is the beach or some dirt/gravel trails

I ran a RE kit and it rode VERY stiff. Remember, the quality of your ride depends on the coils more than the shocks. Brackets are a bandaid - get a kit that has adjustable lower control arms
and also a drag link flip kit. Those will allow you to correct your geometry better than a bracket that will hang down & risk getting all boogered up.

Its not about climbing mountains: probably more than 95% of your time driving the Jeep in on-road, so you want something
that works there as well. Most of your off-roading is dirt/gravel roads? All the more reason to get a kit that rides nice. Again, look at the
EVO kits - they come with everything you need and the plush ride coils are the best riding ones out there according to everyone that has tried them.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

What size tires are you wanting and do you like your current ride?

If you want 35s or smaller and you do like your current ride I suggest a 2.5" budget boost with shock and brake line extensions and 2" bump stops.

IMG_0071.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
What size tires are you wanting and do you like your current ride? ]

Think he's looking at 3.5", but you raise a good point I passed over in the tire size. He might not even need 3.5" if he's only running 35" tires....

Make a JK climb a mountain is pretty easy. A lift kit and bigger tires will get you pretty much everywhere.

What separates the quality suspensions from the junk is what they do on road.

This forum is very pro Off Road Evolution, which is not a bad thing you can't go wrong with Evo. Very good quality parts with good street manners and serious off road chops.

We push JKS JSpec kits, because in our experience you'll get all of the street ride and off ready durability with really good handling and load carrying capacity.

Of course, both of these brands are US made by enthusiasts which something that is important to us. They will actually be an net IMPROVEMENT over the factory ride and drive,.

You don't have to go crazy on the kit, just a basic kit retaining the factory arms and some quality 2.0 shocks will get you where you need to be. While 3.5" of lift is a good number on an Unlimited because of its porcine nature, a 2.5" kit will fit 35s and won't give you the little bit bumpsteer a base 3.5" kit will. As mentioned here a draglink flip is highly recommended in a 3.5" lift. You won't need to worry about any of that on a 2.5" kit.

swampdog

Username check out...

Top Bottom