FCA accused by EPA of cheating on emissions

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Man, that's not good news for FCA. They seem to be bringing a lot of baggage with them to this relationship. Seems like all the big car companies have been cheating on emissions for a while and are all now just starting to get caught.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Something doesn't make sense. If the vehicle is meeting the emissions why does it matter how they do it? Emissions are not something you just make go away and the computer reads what is being emitted from the trail pipe, so I don't see how they are lying about it unless they are not actually doing the emissions test

sent from your basement

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Something doesn't make sense. If the vehicle is meeting the emissions why does it matter how they do it? Emissions are not something you just make go away and the computer reads what is being emitted from the trail pipe, so I don't see how they are lying about it unless they are not actually doing the emissions test

sent from your basement

This article helps explain how VW cheated the test. The Tech Behind How Volkswagen Tricked Emissions Tests

If you consider the amount of money at stake and how smart vehicle computers are nowadays, it's really not that unbelievable that someone tried it.

trailraider

sent from your basement

i don't think that is a issue of how they got the reading, i think it is that the computer can be manipulated by the consumer after purchase. the emissions regulations that are coming are going to be tough. we are going to see lots of 4 cyl turbos coming from manufactures.

JeepJeep75

This news is not surprising at all. I just hope FCA has really deep pockets. I think most auto manufacturers of diesel vehicles will be found to be cheating in one way or another. It comes down to money. It's cheaper to program the computer to run differently on a treadmill than to actually make the engine run cleaner. The mentality of "let's make a buck right now and not worry about the fine later" is gonna catch up with everyone.

Top Bottom