HYBRID JL Wrangler - Would You Want One?

rsbrehm

How many watts do the generators in a hybrid make? They may need to have a "high idle" selector when doing offroading in a hybrid, but those would be fun. Electric motors have a more even pull, so those could actually be better at crawling.

Sent from my VK810 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Mrtremere

I've had two Chevy Volts as a daily driver.
I'm getting about 120 MPG equivalent.
A jeep would make a terrible EV [Tesla] or Extended Range EV [Volt] / Hybrid
It just comes down to efficiency, jeep is just not the right platform.

However, the most batteries are already sealed in a "mineral oil".
Lastly, Tesla can float :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMGQckuhucU

XJADDICTION

Banned
The thing about hybrid tech is it's universal. You're stuck on the fuel thing, where clearly looking at vehicles like the Porsche 918, the Mclaren P1, etc utilize the benefits of electric power for other reasons. Obviously the P1 owner couldn't care less about gas mileage, but they do care about having 0 turbo lag. The same concept can be adapted for offroad driving. Offroad crawling is usually slow going, so saving fuel IS a big deal, especially offroad where there are no gas stations. Next, torque. Rock crawling requires torque, and a careful application of it. Electric motors are MUCH more precise, and torque is available at 0 rpm. Adapted for offroad purposes, or even an offroad mode, it can be an excellent feature. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fuel thing.

Well if they use it for off-road torque I agree it would be nice. I just don't see extra weight and cost worth the advantage. Axle gearing and 4:1 T-case get the job done just fine. I don't think that is why Jeep is looking at hybrid tech for Wrangler though. All the recent changes on the JL seem geared toward MPG increases.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom