HYBRID JL Wrangler - Would You Want One?

RockyJk

:cheesy: What kind of lift would one put on Geoff?

In all seriousness, would you want to run one on the Rubicon? The torque would be awesome, but I would imagine rock crawling would drain the battery even faster?
Then where do you recharge?

It looks like it would be a hybrid not full electric so every time you press the brakes it recharges the batteries lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

My major concern would be water fording and water-proofing a huge electrical system. Also trail damage could be a concern. What if you broke one of the power supply lines? If that touches the frame you have a 4,000 pound electrified people fryer sitting there.

I paid 15k for my non hybrid car. It gets 40mpg. I won't pay a crazy price for a hybrid just to say I own one. It needs to earn its name.

Same here.

I drive a non hybrid Honda Civic to work and back everyday. I get stupid good mpg and it was about 6k cheaper than the hybrid civic. 6k of gas at nearly 40mpg is about the lifetime of the Honda.

This hybrid jeep at best will give us only a few mpg compared to non hybrid. No way I'm buying it.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Same here.

I drive a non hybrid Honda Civic to work and back everyday. I get stupid good mpg and it was about 6k cheaper than the hybrid civic. 6k of gas at nearly 40mpg is about the lifetime of the Honda.

This hybrid jeep at best will give us only a few mpg compared to non hybrid. No way I'm buying it.

You could drive to save the Earth

https://youtu.be/gXZeq9eXAys

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Not a chance in hell! :eek:

What do you carry for spare 'gas'? :thinking: You'd have to tow a friggin' generator!

Maybe make the top a big solar panel that constantly charges like a trickle charger. Then you lose the soft top, or the hood could be a solar panel, because nobody runs without a hood.[emoji848]. Probably wouldn't consider one until the 3rd or 4th year so the bugs could be worked out and lots of time was put on them.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mijku

My major concern would be water fording and water-proofing a huge electrical system. Also trail damage could be a concern. What if you broke one of the power supply lines? If that touches the frame you have a 4,000 pound electrified people fryer sitting there.
The systems i have dealt with have sense lines that shut the system down instaneously if the power lines are damaged or shorted. Lawyers would have a field day if there were not fail safes designed into the sysems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

I definitely would not want one. There is nothing efficient about our jeeps (flying bricks) I think it would be almost comical to even think about it. But that's just me [emoji848]
If this is an option that would help the wrangler to appeal to even more of the masses and keep the line going, then I say do it. As long as it doesn't affect the wrangler we know and it allows hybrid snobs to check that option block when they order theirs and bring more jeep sales to Chrysler.
Can you imagine the traffic we would get here on the WAL [emoji15]

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Might not be the worst idea. A low power electric motor can help offroad a lot, where slow going can conserve gas. Also, a nice set of solar panels could give you a full charge in say 2 days, so you might get an extra 20-40 miles of range and drive out......so running out of gas would be a thing of the past. The possibilities are definitely there. What scares me is the complexity of the system, so that during a trail breakdown, the systems are too complicated for a bush fix, which would defeat the purpose, but..I can see great things from a turbo 4 banger diesel, coupled with a 100hp electric motor with a reduction gear of like 100:1 so that it can make the jeep crawl with minimal power output.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Hybrid tech is awesome and Toyota really has it covered. I owned two Prius and they were great cars the standard got 55-60 mpg and the bigger 5 got around 50. I didn't drive the Prius for environmental reasons. I used to drive a lot and it made sense for the fuel $ savings. Also was nice to drive in HOV lane as single passenger b/c ULEV.

That said, it makes no sense to have a hybrid JK at all. If fuel mileage is at issue for you, keep the Jeep and buy a used Prius.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hybrid tech is awesome and Toyota really has it covered. I owned two Prius and they were great cars the standard got 55-60 mpg and the bigger 5 got around 50. I didn't drive the Prius for environmental reasons. I used to drive a lot and it made sense for the fuel $ savings. Also was nice to drive in HOV lane as single passenger b/c ULEV.

That said, it makes no sense to have a hybrid JK at all. If fuel mileage is at issue for you, keep the Jeep and buy a used Prius.

The thing about hybrid tech is it's universal. You're stuck on the fuel thing, where clearly looking at vehicles like the Porsche 918, the Mclaren P1, etc utilize the benefits of electric power for other reasons. Obviously the P1 owner couldn't care less about gas mileage, but they do care about having 0 turbo lag. The same concept can be adapted for offroad driving. Offroad crawling is usually slow going, so saving fuel IS a big deal, especially offroad where there are no gas stations. Next, torque. Rock crawling requires torque, and a careful application of it. Electric motors are MUCH more precise, and torque is available at 0 rpm. Adapted for offroad purposes, or even an offroad mode, it can be an excellent feature. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fuel thing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I think it depends on how they use the electric motor to make it a hybrid. If they use a huge 64volt system like the Prius then it would be pointless in the wrangler. Now if they use it for torque fill like NFRs2000NYC said then I can see that being beneficial for road use and for us off roaders.

All that being said it's FCA so they will prob go the Prius route if they do make a hybrid JL, and for that reason, I'm out

Ddays

Hooked
How would regenerative braking recharge the batteries when you are on a trail all day? Would it actually work at those speeds?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How would regenerative braking recharge the batteries when you are on a trail all day? Would it actually work at those speeds?

This is true because the regen braking only work at speeds greater than 15mph. Lower than that and it's just all mechanical and no regen occurs

Ddays

Hooked
This is true because the regen braking only work at speeds greater than 15mph. Lower than that and it's just all mechanical and no regen occurs

Yeah, unless they could fix that I'd be more likely to buy a hybrid for on-road use. And screw solar panels. Another thing would be getting the electronics to work with lifts & possibly axles.
No thanks. These computers are so hyper-nanny sensitive that I couldn't imagine what they would be like on a hybrid...

Top Bottom