Best place to live for jeep owners

TXBTK

I am a Jeep newbie but there are a lot of Jeeps in the Austin metro with clubs like the Austin Jeep People. This is a great place to live to boot.
I'm biased. My vote is Texas.

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

Not trying to turn this into a City Data forum thread (best places to live in the USA kinda thing) but I had asked about wheeling and Jeeping in general in the North Carolina area because of a possible relocation and now my family just got the news about two more options. Central Texas (Austin, San Antonio and sort of in between the two of them -- Flatonia/La Grange area) and Reno, Nevada. So I'll put it to you folks here, if you had three nearly identical job offers in Charlotte, NC, the stretch between San Antonio & Austin, TX and Reno, NV and having access to challenging trails and other Jeep folks was important to you too, where would you go and why?

Thanks in advance!

Reno - better wheeling, good cost of living, better weather.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I am a Jeep newbie but there are a lot of Jeeps in the Austin metro with clubs like the Austin Jeep People. This is a great place to live to boot.
I'm biased. My vote is Texas.

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

While I do agree with you on the points Lots of jeeps, Clubs like AJP, nice people, beautiful hill country, etc. while this is true, and are all GREAT! My vote to put other locations over any Texas city is solely due to the fact that while the land is beautiful in Texas, it is all privately owned, and inaccessible to the average jeep owner aside from the few "off road parks" located around the state. and the only legal area to take the jeep off pavement in the Austin/surrounding area is about an hour northwest at Hidden Falls Adventure Park. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wheeling a lot! but, I cant honestly tell you that I want that feeling of exploring, it gives me the fix much BETTER then driving around in circles, climbing the same obstacles, on the same trails over and over again. The feeling of getting out and exploring are (IMO) what makes the jeep so great, and while that feeling can be had the first few times out to a new offroad park, minus the annoying $80-$100 weekend gate pass hanging from the rear view mirror, it is short lived. In my opinion, the best place to live for jeep people, would be somewhere that allowed the jeep and its people to "get lost" for the weekend.

Texas Hill Country IS beautiful. There are LOTS of jeeps in Austin, Houston, Dallas Metro, Lots of clubs all over Texas, great food, tons of live music, tons of urban exploring, hiking and biking... but offering NOTHING in terms of taking the jeep off pavement in hopes to "get lost" for the weekend. :thumb:

Trails that are 1.5 Hours or less from your home

Last edited:
While I do agree with you on the points Lots of jeeps, Clubs like AJP, nice people, beautiful hill country, etc. while this is true, and are all GREAT! My vote to put other locations over any Texas city is solely due to the fact that while the land is beautiful in Texas, it is all privately owned, and inaccessible to the average jeep owner aside from the few "off road parks" located around the state. and the only legal area to take the jeep off pavement in the Austin/surrounding area is about an hour northwest at Hidden Falls Adventure Park. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy wheeling a lot! but, I cant honestly tell you that I want that feeling of exploring, it gives me the fix much BETTER then driving around in circles, climbing the same obstacles, on the same trails over and over again. The feeling of getting out and exploring are (IMO) what makes the jeep so great, and while that feeling can be had the first few times out to a new offroad park, minus the annoying $80-$100 weekend gate pass hanging from the rear view mirror, it is short lived. In my opinion, the best place to live for jeep people, would be somewhere that allowed the jeep and its people to "get lost" for the weekend.

Texas Hill Country IS beautiful. There are LOTS of jeeps in Austin, Houston, Dallas Metro, Lots of clubs all over Texas, great food, tons of live music, tons of urban exploring, hiking and biking... but offering NOTHING in terms of taking the jeep off pavement in hopes to "get lost" for the weekend. :thumb:

Couldn't have put it any better than this right here. Texas is a huge state, but it's so frustrating we can't explore any of it without paying the "admittance" fee of the popular OHV parks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkris

This is very true. I just moved from that area a year ago. Lots to do, see, and eat. Great people, lots of Jeeps, but it's a hump to get to any off road area.
I lived in Colorado for a few years, and my wife and I absolutely loved it. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could. It is beautiful there even if you don't leave pavement.
Apart from National Training Center, I have no experience out west.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kyle7R

Same feeling with hunting. I lived there for 4 years and didn't hunt once because it's all privately owned and a deer lease was like $1,000.
Everybody kept telling me how "different" hunting is in Colorado compared to Texas. As much as I love hunting, we haven't done any of it in years because of how commercialized, expensive, it has become here. And the politics involved in trying to get on, or stay on a lease are enough to suck the enjoyment right out of it.

You'll have to give me the full run down soon, over a couple cold ones :thumb:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
as someone who moved to texas from up north (ct, ny area) I will admit I like the overall area I am in , cost of living isn't to bad , granted there isn't much in the way of public lands with only a few small areas of national forest to roam around in to the south of me by about 90 min and I go when I can ........ would I stay if the company I worked for had a plant say up in Utah no flippin way in hell I would transfer out so fast your head would spin fast enough to create a few tornados ......... the public land up that way and over into az,nm is fantastic to someone like myself who wants to get out when I'm off work ( cant say weekends as my off days rotate around ) ..........

as for where to live I guess that would depend on what ya want overall in the way of places to jeep , do you want to go parks on weekends or do you want to really get out and see shit ........if its getting out and seeing shit then I would say az , nm, Nevada , cali, Utah ......
if its just parks your after well I would find a spot with a few that are close enough to hit up within a few hours just in case you don't want to spend the night at it ........

Top Bottom