37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper STT Pro's

JAGS

Hooked
I think new is 21/32 from what I've found online

Yeah, but what the hell is that on this ruler that doesn't bottom out?? [emoji6] Lol.

21/32 is the same depth as the TGs starting point. I've got 7/32 left on mine with about 46k on them. Had I not been a dip shit newb wheeler the last two years, they wouldn't be so chunked and I could easily get another 5-10k out of them. Probably still could, but I like new shit. [emoji16]

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Yes, we're running 40's on Moby and 37's on Rubicat. The 40's are Load Range C and do offer a nicer ride but I don't think these Coopers are offered in any other load range. The only consumer friendly 40 that I know of (or at least that I have personally tested) that comes in a load range E is a 40x15.50R20 Toyo MT and comparable Nitto Mud Grappler. Aside from the freak blowout, I have been very happy with these 40's as is or at least for now. Time and more use may or may not change that.

main.php

Every time I see this jeep it makes me wish I had gotten that color.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Comfortable ride at lower Psi bit... Is that bad? You're saying with a 13.5 you have to lower the psi for it to be comfortable and it sounds like there's a downside. Uneven wear on the tire?

Is there a definite number on backspacing to avoid rub for a 13.5? Wheels I'm looking at are 4.5" backspacing, 17x9.

I think the higher load range means thicker/stiffer sidewall so consequently less flex, lower tire pressure allows the sidewall to flex more so the tire absorbs more bumps.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I don't really like the looks of the Coopers. But after Eddies review I might have to look into them again. I haven't looked into 37s that much yet other than price and if the Trail Grapplers are only C load range, I may have to take them off of my list.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like the looks of the Coopers. But after Eddies review I might have to look into them again. I haven't looked into 37s that much yet other than price and if the Trail Grapplers are only C load range, I may have to take them off of my list.

You could always give Toyo MT's a look. Their 37x13.50's are load range E and are one of the toughest tires I've ever run. So far, I'm feeling the say way about these new Cooper STT Pros in a 37x13.50 only they hook up way better on the rocks.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You could always give Toyo MT's a look. Their 37x13.50's are load range E and are one of the toughest tires I've ever run. So far, I'm feeling the say way about these new Cooper STT Pros in a 37x13.50 only they hook up way better on the rocks.

That was another one on my list. I'm in no means ready for 37s yet but trying to decide between an AT and an MT. It's the BFG ATs, or the new Ridge Grapplers, or Trail Grapplers or the Toyos.

OhNoTheJiggies

I had 35" nitro trails but went to the STT pros when I upgraded to 37s. Price was helpful in deciding but I also like the tread pattern more(matters the most, right?) Both did/do well for me off-road too. I got em on an 18" wheel so they're load range D and ride nicely and wear evenly. The nittos were Es and rode a little rougher on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Eugene

Would your preference change at all if the tire size in question were 35X (315/70 for STT)?

I enjoyed running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and found that they worked well on the trail. They hooked up well on the rocks and seemed to wear fairly well. What I didn't like about them is that the 37's only came in a Load Range C and their sidewalls weren't as strong as I would prefer. I also didn't like that they weren't offered in a 13.50 width. On pavement, they were pretty quite for an MT but they had a strong radial pull to the left and I found that to be annoying. Overall, they're a good tire, their 37's are made in the USA and I would run them again if I had to.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pros are what I'm running now and I absolutely LOVE them! They hook up MUCH BETTER on the rocks and so far, I've found them to wear much better than the Trail Grapplers. I LOVE the fact that they're 37's are available in a 13.50 width and in a Load Range E. The sidewalls on their 37's are extremely tough and I haven't noticed any radial pull from them. They are a bit louder on pavement but just by a bit. If it matters, they are without question, the BEST MT I have ever driven on in ice and snow. The other thing I really like about them is that I could get 5 tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers which is quite a deal and of course, Cooper are made in the USA.

jkjeepit

thanks for the review.
I've been looking at the STT PRO's 35's, currently running Toyo MT's 34's and love them but am thinking of going with something different.
less weight and cheaper.. still want to stay with a E rated tire. Live in the desert and do a lot of off-roading in NM, AZ, UT, CO. so a tire with a tough side wall and a good rock crawling tire is a must to stay with.
any experience with Toyo's RT's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would your preference change at all if the tire size in question were 35X (315/70 for STT)?

Nope. In that size, they come as a load range E. I would highly recommend them.

any experience with Toyo's RT's?

No personal experience with them but based on what you were saying, I would stick with the Toyo MT. The RT is not made to be as tough as the MT and doesn't even come in larger sizes.

jkjeepit

Nope. In that size, they come as a load range E. I would highly recommend them.

No personal experience with them but based on what you were saying, I would stick with the Toyo MT. The RT is not made to be as tough as the MT and doesn't even come in larger sizes.

thanks,,
didn't think the RT's had much review in the rock crawling area as they aren't really that type of tire.
I'm leaning on the STT PRO's or staying with the Toyo MT's
I like the fact that the STT PRO's are lighter and cheaper. so far what I have read the STT Pro's are a great tire.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Glad I saw this thread, since I am starting to really consider tires again, and was curious on the TG vs STT pro as I have an unused spare.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Glad I saw this thread, since I am starting to really consider tires again, and was curious on the TG vs STT pro as I have an unused spare.

This is my conundrum as well. My Chamber Pro IIs are begging for some 37s and its between the Terra Grapplers & STT Pros.

Baja

I'm thinking of getting new tires myself. Not that I need them. My current tires still have 2/3 life left on them, but figured it's better to buy now and be able to sell my current tires to recoup some of the funds. I currently have the Cooper STT Pros in 37x13.50R17 and I am going back and forth between those again or Toyo MTs. I don't know why, because I have been so happy with the STT Pros for all of the same reasons everyone else is. I have 30k on my current set and I just measured the remaining tread depth and they still have at least 16/32 of the original 22/32 of tread left. That is outstanding for a tire that performs so well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I got to try the STT pros out today in some shallow and deep snow on inclines and declines. They are great regarding traction. Other than getting high-centered in one spot, they hooked up nicely.

32458306951_26794c5fe1_k.jpg

32427852962_ec92d672ae_k.jpg

32427896032_fb1def4288_k.jpg

rlm8541

Yes, we're running 40's on Moby and 37's on Rubicat. The 40's are Load Range C and do offer a nicer ride but I don't think these Coopers are offered in any other load range. The only consumer friendly 40 that I know of (or at least that I have personally tested) that comes in a load range E is a 40x15.50R20 Toyo MT and comparable Nitto Mud Grappler. Aside from the freak blowout, I have been very happy with these 40's as is or at least for now. Time and more use may or may not change that.

main.php

I can't seem to find the STT 40X13.50's.....Just out of curiosity. What is the weight difference between the 37X13.50 and the 40"'s?

Top Bottom