Any Plumbers out there?

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
So this is a long shot but I'm new to being a home owner. Me and my wife bought ourselves a fixer upper and im in the middle of taking my sweet ass time with a kitchen remodel because frankly, i don't have the money to just gut it and redo, i wish i did.

This was the kitchen when we moved in...

IMG_1484530437.693679.jpg

IMG_1484530352.796264.jpg

IMG_1484530368.648655.jpg

Please don't mind the mess bc we were just throwing shit around today bc ive got like 6 different projects going on at once. But this is what we've slowly turned it into..

IMG_1484530603.934963.jpg

IMG_1484530664.552637.jpg

So now down to business, when we bought the house there is no dishwasher, we would like to add one in. As you can see from the pictures, I'm in the process of adding in an island with seating around it. we are testing sizes, hence the shitty 2x3 and plywood island lol. Anyway, my idea was to add a dishwasher built into the island. Unfortunately, the drain pipe is tucked up tight above the sill plate and i don't think i could get across, what would a perpendicular run against the floor joist in the basement and then up on top of the sill plate to tap in. So now my idea is to run under the floor, give it a pigtail to stop backdraft, and run back up under the sink and add a dishwasher tail piece like below.

IMG_1484531213.000543.jpg

Basically tried to draw it to make it easier to understand.

IMG_1484531237.569732.jpg

It would probably take me about 10ft of drain tube which from what i read is about the max the dishwasher drain pump will pump. Im just worried about the basically vertical bit at the end to get up to the new tail piece. Anyone have any experience with this?

My back up plan would be to cut out the 18" cabinet against the wall (which would be no big deal bc we are getting new countertop) and slip a 18" dish washer in against the wall. I just really would hate to cut the cabinets bc my whole base cabinet is one piece.

IMG_1484531487.286589.jpg

Anyone have an experience in this area?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Not a plumber. Good job on the remodel though!

Thank you! Everything's a disaster right now bc im trying to do 6 things at once bc the wife wants it done lol currently in the middle of stealing a foot from the closet in our spare room and adding a pantry above the steps as you can see by the hole in the wall lol. Trying to add an island with a dishwasher. Building my daughter a play room down stairs. Adding backsplash and new counter to the kitchen. And all doing this while trying to save some money up and working 60-70 hours a week lol. Being a homeowner sucks [emoji24] lol

JKbrick

Plumber here! You don't think there is any way to get a drain up in the island? What are your drain lines, pvc, copper, cast iron? A normal dishwasher is 24" wide but there may be 18" I only install them I don't sell or buy them

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Plumber here! You don't think there is any way to get a drain up in the island? What are your drain lines, pvc, copper, cast iron? A normal dishwasher is 24" wide but there may be 18" I only install them I don't sell or buy them

Awesome! Thank you for responding! Yes a normal one is 24" which is what we would put in the island, but my last resort would be to buy a 18" one which they do sell and put it next to the sink. My tailpiece and trap are pvc and the drain pipe is steel i believe. Ill take a picture to explain the under the floor situation a little better, hang on.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug

So basically, i did the beat i could to illustrate the scenario.

This is the overall picture

IMG_1484534094.897079.jpg

The drain would come down next to the light, go across the joists toward the wall. You can see how low the water lines hang, so they would be no problem. The problem is just how tucked up the drain is and the cluster fuck of pipes around the drain.

IMG_1484534173.907395.jpg

And heres where the drain is tucked.

IMG_1484534195.210569.jpg

It comes down from the sink, across a few feet and then down the pillar there where im assuming it goes down into the foundation and across the house into the main.

IMG_1484534261.129736.jpg

IMG_1484534271.379954.jpg

JKbrick

The drain looks like it elbows up out away from the wall a bit. Does it just come straight up through the cabinet floor? I'll pm you my phone number so you can text me and we don't bore everybody about plumbing. At least we aren't discussing quilting

Top Bottom