Coil over - 1953 M38A1

p38

Caught the Bug
We kept the leaf springs on the rear axle and did a 3 link on the front. It's all mounted, waiting on axles - should be here Saturday. Here's a picture of the front -

IMG_3443.jpg

p38

Caught the Bug
That belongs to one of the guys working on my jeep. I will get some more pictures of it.

professorkx

So what is the length of the new wheelbase? The guy doing my conversion just did one on his Bronco; he had valving issues as well but found someone who went through and adjusted them all. He says the ride/cornering is perfect. My frame should be about the same width as your son's CJ - so I hope I get the same good ride. Like you said - it's just gas and wire - we thought about just building a new frame and swapping the body. It would make it easier to swap back if it doesn't turn out. If it does turn out - we throw another body on the frame.

Nice bike.

Sorry for the late response. We ended up with a 93.5" wheelbase. We found that we need to add a rear sway bar, but not a big deal, as lots of options for a customer unit. Because of the lift, Tom Woods modified a CV driveshaft for a steeper angle so we don't bind under full articulation.

As for a custom frame, if I did this again, that's the route I would go

p38

Caught the Bug
Here's a shot of the new suspension. We took it to Moab - worked great. Rubicon in June.

IMG_3463.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet!! Gotta love seeing a ProRock underneath and awesome Commando. Can't wait to see what becomes of it. Good luck running the Rubicon in June.

p38

Caught the Bug
That's my 53 M38A1 on the rack, but the Jeepster has a similar setup. Adam, the owner of the Jeepster, and Shawn Carmichael of Carmichael's Customs worked round the clock to get my rig ready for Moab. Thanks guys for a job well done. I met the guys from RCV at the vendor show in Moab and ordered a set of axles for the front. We ran out of time (and room) for front bump stops before I left for Moab, so that's on the to-do list for this week. Once those two items are completed, I think I'm done - although there might be an LS in the works for next winter.

Top Bottom