Off Road Adventure Trailer

Jason2012JKUR

Has any body built their own off road trailer?

I just started my build about a month ago and I think I am about halfway complete.

My family and I go camping a lot but find it difficult to stuff all of the needs of everyone into the 4 door JK. We have been able to do it but it takes a lot of planning and you have to completely unload to access everything.

The intent of this trailer is to keep it stocked with all of our camping gear aside from consumables year round. Access to gear you need when you need it and the on board 55 gallons of fresh water will allow us to explore areas that we would have questioned in the past.

If you have some tips or tricks for my build please share, or if you think I'm a complete loon for burning a few pounds of wire on this that's okay too.

Show off what you have. 20161222_154303.jpg 20161226_134326.jpg 20161226_143218.jpg 20161230_152350.jpg 20161230_182251.jpg 20161231_170315.jpg 20170108_201822.jpg 20170113_191027.jpg 20170115_184018.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkrichard

I'm mid build myself. I have the same issues with space on longer trips but In a 2 door... with a german shepherd.

I have the frame done and im now just waiting for some mesh for where my gas cans will be. The tub will loosely resemble the Manley ORV trailer (but a smidgen bigger), and will be aluminum to keep my weight down. I'm using the same size tires and rims as my jeep on the trailer so I always have extra spares if it turns into a bad day. All the lights are led penny lights. The nose will be almost an A frame with a tool box and space for the gas cans and a water jug on the front.

Frame should go in for powder coating this week.

2017-01-16 12.13.33.jpg 2017-01-16 12.17.05.jpg
2017-01-16 12.25.13.jpg

Old photos, buy you get the idea, I have corner gussets for mounting the aluminum tub in 6 spots, and the front triangle will be mesh bottomed for water and fluid to clear if it gets in there and prevent rust.

Last edited:

Lil Nasty

I've been searching Craigslist for one of those utility beds for my build as well. The ones I'm finding are still too expensive. Trying to keep my build under $4k.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I plan to build one in a few years after I move home. The utility bed is a cool idea.

Jason2012JKUR

I've been searching Craigslist for one of those utility beds for my build as well. The ones I'm finding are still too expensive. Trying to keep my build under $4k.

I bought that service body off a junkyard truck for 180 bucks. I'll have about 1300 bucks in this when complete. That will include paint, which will be bedliner roll on stuff. 20161222_124044.jpg

Jason2012JKUR

I'm mid build myself. I have the same issues with space on longer trips but In a 2 door... with a german shepherd.

I have the frame done and im now just waiting for some mesh for where my gas cans will be. The tub will loosely resemble the Manley ORV trailer (but a smidgen bigger), and will be aluminum to keep my weight down. I'm using the same size tires and rims as my jeep on the trailer so I always have extra spares if it turns into a bad day. All the lights are led penny lights. The nose will be almost an A frame with a tool box and space for the gas cans and a water jug on the front.

Frame should go in for powder coating this week.

View attachment 239063 View attachment 239064
View attachment 239072

Old photos, buy you get the idea, I have corner gussets for mounting the aluminum tub in 6 spots, and the front triangle will be mesh bottomed for water and fluid to clear if it gets in there and prevent rust.
Your trailer should definitely be light. Looks good.

RUBEERCON

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

I'm still working on this unit. I have some details on it in another thread. Not sure of the other thread titles but there are a few trailer posts out there already. Looks like your on a good start! I used to make those utility beds for Auto crane of Tulsa in my shop.

jkrichard

Your trailer should definitely be light. Looks good.

Thank you, I'll try to remember to put up some pics when I finally get the tub put on.

Cabinets are a huge plus, I'd like the idea of it but it makes a ton of extra work when building from scratch. I thought a sliding drawer for the bottom of the tub like a truck box sliding drawer but it kills my inside storage space and I struggle finding parts that I can make fit my material.

I am also trying to keep my cost down. The wheels and tires have been the largest expence by far. Custom built axle is a touch cheaper. Everything else has been cheap a few things here and there but definately saving money over buying something built.

Rubeercon that is a cool set up, I love the half hidden floor storage

Last edited:

Jason2012JKUR

rl206

Awesome! I'll follow this, once I get out of my apartment I plan on starting a trailer build as well!

Top Bottom