Anyone running smittybilt carrier?

rich67

Caught the Bug
Not sure where you live, but on Facebook we have a Jeep group in Florida called TJK. They have TONS of stuff for sale or for free JK and JKU related all the time. Bumpers, tire carriers, you name it. Find a place similar to that locally within your area. You don't need to buy new stuff. Buying used is better for people on a budget, and a nice can of high temp wrinkle paint does wonders to cover up other people's blems. It's a Jeep after all, and scuffs and scratches are inevitable and give the Jeep character. I am also on a budget, and I have really kept my build costs low. Although I only have 33's on mine, it's fine for what I do. It's not about how much you spend, it's about wheeling within your ability, both rig-wise and cost factor wise.
I found a nice bumper/tire carrier combo on there that was going for $500, and it was a nice set up. Just dirty and scuffed from use. Who cares!

I bought the same carrier 4 years ago. I set mine up so my size 35 tire basically rested on the rear bumper. But it was always took some effort to open and close.

I ended up getting the teraflex hinge, but not their carrier. I trimmed the smittybilt to work on top of it. Haven't had any problems for 3 years now, so I don't know what would have happened if I continue to run it with just the carrier.

Sorry, that doesn't solve your problem, but I just wanted to share my experience with that carrier. Good luck.

Top Bottom