Anyone running smittybilt carrier?

10abadilla/jk

Is anyone running this carrier? If so I would love to hear what you think about it. Screenshot_2017-01-16-19-39-04-1.jpg
I do not want to run a full size bumper and carrier and almost every carrier I look at is pretty pricey. I am just trying to prevent more of this from happening more or less. 20161125_194924.jpg 20161125_194952.jpg 20161125_194944.jpg 20161125_195001.jpg
I would run my tire on the stock carrier of it were not cracking and rattling my door on every pebble I hit. Thank you all for the information.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Is anyone running this carrier? If so I would love to hear what you think about it.
I do not want to run a full size bumper and carrier and almost every carrier I look at is pretty pricey. I am just trying to prevent more of this from happening more or less.
I would run my tire on the stock carrier of it were not cracking and rattling my door on every pebble I hit. Thank you all for the information.

It's not an improvement over the OE carrier, and doesn't solve the issue that you're having.
There's too much weight directly on the tailgate, the only real solution is either a bumper or body mounted carrier.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I own and use it. It works fine. However, it will not fix your issue your having! You need a carrier that either upgrades the existing g hate hinges or is body mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Is there a gate hinge upgrade?

This still isn't the issue though..
Your tailgate isn't sagging, its literally separating apart.
Any carrier that bolts directly to the tailgate to carry the weight is going to continue to cause problems, even with beefier hinges.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you really need to look into getting a tire carrier that takes the weight of the spare OFF of your tailgate.

J

JKDream

Am I stuck with getting a bumper carrier? Or would something like this be a benefit due to the fact it mounts to the body? [/URL]

That is the carrier I am using, and while I would not recommend it, it would solve the issue you are having.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Am I stuck with getting a bumper carrier? Or would something like this be a benefit due to the fact it mounts to the body?

I personally would recommend a bumper tire carrier or something like what AEV makes where the tire carrier is mounted to the frame.

J

JKDream

May I ask why you would not recommend it?

There's a couple of reasons.
I had major issues with tolerances on the carrier, bolts not lining up, brackets needing to be trimmed, hinges are still extremely tight etc.
I also had a HELL of a time painting/powdercoating the carrier, the carrier was shipped coated in like machine oil which wouldn't come completely off - meaning paint wouldn't stick.
Didn't get any help from Crawler Conceptz as well regarding the tolerances, basically pulled a Teraflex and said it was user error..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So from the sounds of it I'm damned either way! I just have to bite the bullet at some point and get a body mount carrier.

Funny, I don't recall saying anything of the sort. If a body mount tire carrier is something you want, that would address your issue but I do believe I specifically said that a good "BUMPER TIRE CARRIER" or something like the "AEV TIRE CARRIER" would be the better way to go. BOTH will take the weight off your tailgate and transfer it to your frame.

10abadilla/jk

Funny, I don't recall saying anything of the sort. If a body mount tire carrier is something you want, that would address your issue but I do believe I specifically said that a good "BUMPER TIRE CARRIER" or something like the "AEV TIRE CARRIER" would be the better way to go. BOTH will take the weight off your tailgate and transfer it to your frame.
Understood. And can't afford either. I guess running with no spare for a while is in my near future. Thank you.

10abadilla/jk

There's a couple of reasons.
I had major issues with tolerances on the carrier, bolts not lining up, brackets needing to be trimmed, hinges are still extremely tight etc.
I also had a HELL of a time painting/powdercoating the carrier, the carrier was shipped coated in like machine oil which wouldn't come completely off - meaning paint wouldn't stick.
Didn't get any help from Crawler Conceptz as well regarding the tolerances, basically pulled a Teraflex and said it was user error..
Wow. That sucks. Thank you for the information.

Top Bottom