Anyone running smittybilt carrier?

Thank you all so much for the information. It just seems my budget is smaller then it should be with owning a jeep.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

There are lots of options for a tire carrier that takes the weight off the tailgate. What is your budget? I ran a cheap bumper and swingout tire carrier combo made by a company called Barricade. It's Chinese made and probably not the best of quality, but it held my 37" spare just fine. If you don't have the money for a top brand, that's totally fine! There are ALWAYS options. What's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

There are lots of options for a tire carrier that takes the weight off the tailgate. What is your budget? I ran a cheap bumper and swingout tire carrier combo made by a company called Barricade. It's Chinese made and probably not the best of quality, but it held my 37" spare just fine. If you don't have the money for a top brand, that's totally fine! There are ALWAYS options. What's your budget?

Right now if I can talk my wife into it. 600. She has a thought that a bumber cost 300. Not sure where she got that. I was afraid of running a cheap bumper carrier combo I have heard horror stories. I understand what everyone is saying about taking the weight off the gate and now I see why the smittybilt one won't work. I was just trying to save the gate without putting my family in a hole. I do appreciate the input. Maybe I can try a cheap one And weld reinforcements.

ChiliDawg

Right now if I can talk my wife into it. 600. She has a thought that a bumber cost 300. Not sure where she got that. I was afraid of running a cheap bumper carrier combo I have heard horror stories. I understand what everyone is saying about taking the weight off the gate and now I see why the smittybilt one won't work. I was just trying to save the gate without putting my family in a hole. I do appreciate the input. Maybe I can try a cheap one And weld reinforcements.

I would keep an eye on Craigslist if I were you. People change their mind about what they want and upgrade all the time. I practically stole my front bumper and got a great deal on my rear bumper and carrier as well. If budget and function is your primary concern, keep an eye on the classifieds and jump on the first bargain you see. They're out there.

$600 if tough to work with. That CC carrier would work, and I wouldn't let one bad comment deter you from getting that. This is what I ran for a couple years - with a 35" pare as well as 37. If you can save another $150 for it, it's another option for you.

Edited link.

Last edited by a moderator:

10abadilla/jk

$600 if tough to work with. That CC carrier would work, and I wouldn't let one bad comment deter you from getting that. This is what I ran for a couple years - with a 35" pare as well as 37. If you can save another $150 for it, it's another option for you.

Edited link.

Awesome! Thank you for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would keep an eye on Craigslist if I were you. People change their mind about what they want and upgrade all the time. I practically stole my front bumper and got a great deal on my rear bumper and carrier as well. If budget and function is your primary concern, keep an eye on the classifieds and jump on the first bargain you see. They're out there.

This also, yes. I didn't even think about this. I got my PS body mounted carrier from another wayalife member jackal01 at a much discounted rate.

Kyle7R

Buy once, cry once.

Save that $600 and keep saving to what you want. I run an Or-Fab carrier, which took the weight off the gate and put it on the hinges and frame.

They've since gone under, but I got it for well under $600. No bumper is required for it either.

I would look into the Crawler Conceptz, our new EVO body mounted carrier if I had to do it over again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I'll take a look. I'll probably have to look in like la or something. I have looked locally and have found nothing. Thank you.

USMC Wrangler

Do you have access to a welder? You mentioned welding reinforcements is why I ask.

I plan on making a bumper/frame mount version using a builder's kit from A to Z Fabrication. You can find that at https://atozfabrication.com/tire-carrier-swingout-builder-s-kit.html?category_id=19

Top Bottom