So much for a simple oil change!!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Never realized I had cabin air filters until my blower fan started to squeak it's way to its own death.

After blower fan replacement, the replacement filters I got are still are in the box on the shelf as they seem pointless in a vehicle with multiple ways to configure the roof and doors to experience more of the of the outside environment and use the jeep to the intent of its design.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd say they are even more important in a jeep as they stop dust, dirt and hair from blocking up your A/C evaporator.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Finally got around to replacing the oil cooler/filter housing. It was kind of involved, but not to hard. I did take enough photos to create a write-up. I will add All-Data pages for torque specs and bolt patterns. I will work on it later on. IMG_9262.jpg IMG_9263.jpg

Last edited:

mxrdrver

I discovered this dreaded oil cooler leak on my 2012 JK Sport last week. Ordered a new one on Amazon for $111.95. When it comes in, I'm going to give the repair a shot. I found several YouTube videos to aid me.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I discovered this dreaded oil cooler leak on my 2012 JK Sport last week. Ordered a new one on Amazon for $111.95. When it comes in, I'm going to give the repair a shot. I found several YouTube videos to aid me.

I ended up only paying 185.00 from Jeep after a friends discount. I couldn't wait for one to be shipped because my leak needed to be addressed asap.

I didn't think to order new intake gaskets. Why did you feel the need to replace the gaskets?

I always replace intake gaskets on anything I work on that involves disassembling the intake. I have run into bad or flat gaskets more times then not and they can be troublesome if not addressed. Besides, I don't like to do the work twice and feel it's cheap insurance.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Anytime you remove any part that has a gasket the gasket should be replaced. If you don't then 9 out of 10 times that gasket will leak

sent from your basement

That's not entirely true. rubber O ring style gaskets don't need to be replaced unless they go brittle or get damaged. I haven't had the intake off a 3.6 so I'm not sure if they have this style but they are very common on intake manifolds.

jeffd

should be covered under the 5/100,000 drivetrain warranty. Mine was at 53000 miles. part number for the oil cooler housing is 68105583AE, the intake plenum gaskets are 5184562ac and the manifold intake gaskets are 5184331ac and need 6 each of course. They are cheap.

JKbrick

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
should be covered under the 5/100,000 drivetrain warranty. Mine was at 53000 miles. part number for the oil cooler housing is 68105583AE, the intake plenum gaskets are 5184562ac and the manifold intake gaskets are 5184331ac and need 6 each of course. They are cheap.

I don't know how you got that kind of warranty. As far as i understood the warranty was 3 years/ 36,000 miles, unless that is a more recent warranty policy?

Looks like if they used a real cooler and not a can of spam it may not leak as easily. Are the 3.8 the same?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

It does look like a can of spam. It is also a very stupid design/placement.:rolleyes2:

jeffd

I don't know how you got that kind of warranty. As far as i understood the warranty was 3 years/ 36,000 miles, unless that is a more recent warranty policy?

It does look like a can of spam. It is also a very stupid design/placement.:rolleyes2:

drive train warranty on 2012-2015 is 5/100,000 miles. bumper to bumper for non drivetrain stuff is 3/36,000. in 2016 they changed to 5/60,000 for drive train.
IMG_20170122_115818834_zpsfawgwmyk.jpg

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
do you have mods to the engine? mods would have had to had a direct impact on the oil filter housing/cooler. I have a 3.5" lift with 35's, modified exhaust etc and they never say anything.

Nope, just assuming the dealership would bring it up. Well if anything else goes wrong I will see if it's covered.

Top Bottom