Carseat + 4 Point Harnesses...Legal?

RockinJeepChick

Hi All...just curious if anyone has ever tried...or ever had any luck buckling a carseat into a 4 point harness. And beyond whether it works or not, any clue if it would be legally considered safe?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
IMO it doesn't sound really sound safe. As for legal, I would try and check your state safety laws

WJCO

Meme King
Seat belts are designed a certain way for safety. I personally wouldn't do it. Not worth the risk.

CastleRockJeep

I am not sure about Florida however in Colorado each fire house has several firefighters that have 40+ hours of car seat training. I'd swing by and see if that holds true in your area. Here they will teach you a few ins and outs, then "install" it correctly. They should know if it can safely and Legally be done.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JONZCJ7

I would agree check with local Law Enforcement. I went down to the State Police office and asked about the Car Seat in my CJ7 and attaching it with the harness or regular seat. There was no law against it in (in VA at least) and as long as I had the proper carseat for the child. Everything was good.

The only point the officer stated was that each car seat today is designed with 3 points to hold the seat in place. The car seat I choose for m the CJ has a 5 point style belting for the child and a 3 point to the car. Check your car seat and see what the instruction say for attaching it to the car with out the common factory 3 point tie ins of modern cars or the alternate instruction for older vehicles. Mine had slots to feed all the belts through for passenger or drivers side.

Brute

Hooked
Do like you do with everything else loose in your rig...strap 'er down with a couple ratchet straps...

Seriously though...I think in most states only the oem seat belts are legal...

Top Bottom