NEW Jeep JL Wrangler Power Top?

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The gear mechanism, like most powered tops, looks like trouble. I'm quoting Murphy, "It will crap out halfway through the cycle, on a remote trail in the middle of the thunderstorm of death," or words to that effect. Today's manual cloth tops offer lots to like and are very reliable if given minimal care. Interesting find though. At least we know the engineers are earning their paychecks.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I see what will eventually become a glorified station wagon, it will be a gradual process, then one day we will look at one and think "when the hell did that happen?"

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Personally, I like the concept. Not something I would use on my rig, but I could definitely see this being popular for Jeep. The more they sell the longer our beloved Wranglers stick around. I could see getting something like this for my wife, so it would be easier for her to enjoy the top down.
On another note, we have been considering picking up a Rubicon and I was seriously considering waiting until the JL came out. I assumed it would still be a full open top vehicle like Wranglers have always been. Is that not the case? I think I read somewhere in this thread the JL will likely not be a true open top? If that's the case, I'm out and will start looking more seriously at 2017s. The main reason I own a Wrangler is for the removable doors and open top. If it's more like the MySky on the Renegades that would be a deal breaker for me on the JL.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

arkain04

I think this is they're answer to California trying to get rid of crash test credit for the roll bar. Looks like the top would be structural steel like cali wants.
I say just don't send them to California and leave the top alone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

spider

I'm going to go outside and take my town down and drive in the snow. Any motorized top would freeze and cause more issues than its worth. IMHO...
I agree.!!!

Some of these new convertibles are controlled by the computer in the vehicle so this may not even be an option to do. Ive seen some other european models that wouldnt let ya drop the top if its 32 or below. If its 33 then it may work. But if its reading 32 on the temp gauge in the car, forget about that top going anywhere if its automated. Crazy!!!!! And definitely not for me.

I like my Jeep for the simplicity it was. Imo, what they are doing is starting to glorify it which is going to attract a different crowd of buyers that will want other things like a cadillac or similar suv has to offer. A few years ago, My parents saw my 2 door and my mom loved it. She got a 4 door version. She really liked everything about it but she is a senior and complained of how cold it was in the winter (with a hard top). I told her to turn the heat up but she didnt like hearing the fan run so loud. They ended up trading the jeep in for a '14 Ford Explorer after 6 months to a year of ownership. :(

If this new model has a sun roof thru out the hard top imo they are just mixing it up with what other luxury suv's have to offer. I remember alot of ppl saying about how glorified the JK became. Its slowly being transformed into something it never was suppose to be. A JEEP was something that stood out from the rest of the crowd. It was a vehicle that was unique & simple.

They did a fine concept with the CJ 66 that resembled the CJ 6. Why cant they just follow suit? It seems like they are starting to sway from the originality and simplicity & cater to the regular crowd.

Even the Jeep Wave has dissipated in my neck of the woods since the soccer moms have gotten behind the wheel. :(

Kalums

All I can see is all the potential problems with that top... Power options like that were never meant to be in any kind of off road environments... Pavement Princess accessories.

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Irishcoffee

This will be as "good" as the Electronic Sway Bar Disconnect (aka SmartBar Product) when it comes to Water & Mud! Crap! As someone here just pointed out - just another big fat Chapter on the forum dedicated to "how I fix my JL top"?!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This top is deff geared to the vast majority and not so much us. It will cause complications for sure but the ones that don't wheel there Jeeps or have ever used the top up until now would like it.

Me personally I think it's stupid and just screams electrical issues

WheelinGaumer

We have to think about the entertainment value on the trail when it fails! Unfortunately it's going to be someone that does not have the mechanical skills to fix the problem on there own. So I am going to have to try and help that person out and think to my self that I'm glad it's not on my Jeep!👀

Sent from my VK815 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom