My slower than crap CJ5 build.

daddyusmaximus

So I got the improperly mounted traction bars off. You can tell that the lack of a front shackle put them under stress by the fact that they are no longer straight... They were built more like upper links on a 4 link and put the leafs in a bind.

Went to test the flex, and now I think my front axle isn't powered, despite seeing the driveshaft rotate. Guess I'll have to check the hubs next.

daddyusmaximus

Found a possible CJ5 carcass to pick through from a facebook group (midwest overlanders) contact, so some parts may be coming within the next month or so.

daddyusmaximus

Picked up the factory Dana 20 skidplate I needed. Hope to get under it soon and see if I can make it work with the Dodge 360 and 727. It may be a bit further back, but hoping I can make it work.

Took her out for the first time Sunday. Needed a place for my stuff, so I put in my first mod, a center console (20mm ammo can) Sat when getting ready.

daddyusmaximus

This is a slow build
Congrats on the first ride [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Some parts each month. I'm giving myself 2 years start to finish. I will use it this summer and start the real teardown in the fall. After driving around in her a bit I find she is lacking in the wiring department. The PO stripped out everything he didn't need to run in the sand. I've no way to charge my phone, there are light issues, and I am kinda scared to tap into what's left of the rats nest under the dash to put in a CB. Ordering components to build a new wiring harness, and a twin stick cable shifter for the D20. Sucks having to crawl under to engage the front axle...

daddyusmaximus

Plans have changed. A lot.

I will have to keep the house up to keep the wife happy.
I'll not be putting much money into my car anytime soon. (2003 Mercury Marauder)
I'll not be starting any gun builds for a while.
I'll just drive the Jeep as she is for the summer then start teardown in the fall.

I've decided to go all out. In order to get the ultimate in soft ride (along with a suspension seat), I will be doing a coilover conversion.

I have back and neck issues due to an IED attack in Iraq, so my mangled up spine, neck and right hip will thank me for the soft ride. This will also get me the bonus of great trail flex. So far my research points to using Ruff Stuff brackets, Artec Industries shock towers, and King coilovers. Goal is 2 years, but even if it takes me 5, I'm going to try to make this happen. I want my nimble little CJ5, but I need a softer ride than leaf springs can provide, or I will have to give up off road driving. Exploring trails through the woods is just too relaxing to give up.

daddyusmaximus

Here's a shot of my constant shadow Brandy and I last week on our first trip off roading in over a year. She is my 98 pound German Shepherd. (more like German Shedder) She is a service dog and is with me 24/7. The passenger seat will be replaced by a custom made platform for Brandy as she's too big to lay down on a bucket seat.

daddyusmaximus

All didn't go well. Got the shifter off of the transfercase but couldn't get the adapter for the new twin stick cable shifter mounted. There is a piece in the way I need to cut off, but my sawzall died. Will have to pick up a new one soon. Probably get a battery powered one.

JKbrick

All didn't go well. Got the shifter off of the transfercase but couldn't get the adapter for the new twin stick cable shifter mounted. There is a piece in the way I need to cut off, but my sawzall died. Will have to pick up a new one soon. Probably get a battery powered one.

If you want a corded one I could send you one, I have a couple nobody uses anymore, I'm just up in Ft Wayne

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

daddyusmaximus

If you want a corded one I could send you one, I have a couple nobody uses anymore, I'm just up in Ft Wayne

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thank you. That's incredibly generous. I can't believe I'm turning down free tools, but I'm going to go ahead and get a new one. I like how the newer ones allow you to mount the blade facing up, down, left, or right. Seen a guy in my 4x4 club using one on the trail with a long wood blade a while back, and as a half cripple, the potability of battery powered tools is great. Please consider donating to a youngster in your area who is starting out and may need tools.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Got the twin stick shifter mounted, but can't get the transfer case to move out of neutral in the front drive. Shifter is good, T-case is messed up somehow. Worked 2 weeks ago... ???

Took the front seat out, and built Brandy a temporary front seat dog bed. I'll have to re do it later when I get my suspension seat, and build the center console for the shifters, but it's good enough for this summer.

daddyusmaximus

Haven't had much energy or money to put into the project, but I have done a few small things.

New front recovery points are off my old F250.

Put in a CB. Not many places to fit a full size radio in a CJ5. I welded a couple bars between the top runners on the roll cage. I used an old bracket from a military vehicle radio antenna.

Installed a Blue Sea charging port in the radio hole in the dash. Can't wait to get rid of the diamond plate.

Steps make it easier to get in and don't cost any ground clearance. Jerry cans go mounted on the side. They can't hit anything as the tires stick out with the full width axles.

Put the Hi-Lift on the cowl in front of the windshield that I'll probably never put down.

daddyusmaximus

Well, my "slower then crap" build is sure living up to it's name. She's been sitting in the garage for a month waiting for me to find a new front axle. Can't seem to find one, but I did snag a 1980 CJ7 for $120.

The tub needs quite a bit of work, but could be saved. Not sure if I want to go through all that. Of course it's not running. She has a 258, auto on the tilt column with a very nice Lecarra wheel. The interior is so much nicer than my ratty old 5, and the extra 10 inches makes a bigger difference than I thought it would. It had a great hardtop with solid roll up window doors, and a wiper and electric defroster in the back glass. The dash is nice, and complete, the heater is all there. My beater old sand toy CJ5 has nothing under the diamondplate dash. Tailgate is fine as is the tire carrier, but the windshield is a goner. (I can use the CJ5's)

So do I stay with the 5 or build the 7?

Folks, I'm going with the CJ7. I'll be using the drivetrain from the 5 as that Dodge 360 is just too strong to give up. Love to hear that thing roar. I had to go out and start it today just to listen to it... If I get a new tub for the 7, it will eat up a big chunk of my budget. (depending on how much I get out of selling parts) I could stay SOA like the CJ5 has and forgo my coilover dreams. Then I could swap in YJ springs to soften things up.

On cools evenings, I'll start the tear down of the CJ5 so I can get the bits I need, and sell the bits I don't. Waiting on a buddy to get back with me now because I know he needs a CJ5 frame, and I already got a guy on facebook wanting the CJ5 tub.

Seems photobucket hates me now too... gotta figure out something else...

Top Bottom