Visiting Greenville, SC / Asheville, NC - need suggestions!

My wife is finishing up her medical residency program here in Houston in about a year and a half. We're starting to make visit trips to different locations on the East Coast as it's likely the relocation spot for us. My family lives in Philadelphia, so we would like to be closer to them, but not too close. Being outdoors, in a vibrant but smaller city, with nearby wheeling, camping, hiking, and good hospitals are all prerequisites. So next month, we're spending a 4-day weekend staying in Greenville, SC (since U of SC has a great program for her) with plans to make day trips to Brevard and Asheville to do various hiking trails, eat our faces off, and see everything we can in that area. If anyone from that area has suggestions on what trails to hike, places to eat, things to see, please post it up here! I've already started looking at the various hiking trails and it's a bit overwhelming - there's a ton of them all throughout Pisgah Nat'l Forest.

Thanks in advance!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You will be very close to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, so there is that. In Asheville, take a tour of the Biltmore Estate, if you haven't seen it.

IMG_8092.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My wife is finishing up her medical residency program here in Houston in about a year and a half. We're starting to make visit trips to different locations on the East Coast as it's likely the relocation spot for us. My family lives in Philadelphia, so we would like to be closer to them, but not too close. Being outdoors, in a vibrant but smaller city, with nearby wheeling, camping, hiking, and good hospitals are all prerequisites. So next month, we're spending a 4-day weekend staying in Greenville, SC (since U of SC has a great program for her) with plans to make day trips to Brevard and Asheville to do various hiking trails, eat our faces off, and see everything we can in that area. If anyone from that area has suggestions on what trails to hike, places to eat, things to see, please post it up here! I've already started looking at the various hiking trails and it's a bit overwhelming - there's a ton of them all throughout Pisgah Nat'l Forest.

Thanks in advance!

I live in the Carolina's for 8 years. We use to go to Brevard side of Pisgah to hike. Nice easy trail along the river there too. If you go to Biltmore hit the wine tasting if you like that. They have very good wine they produce. Their restaurant is very good too. You have to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. The Great Smokies, and do not forget The Brown Mountain Lights...never made the lights. Several breweries in Asheville. Do you have AAA? You can get a tour book from them for free. If you can swing it Cades Cove.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
We stayed at a place called Four Paws in North Carolina. put in Mt Mitchell and it took us on a logging/service road that ended coming out onto BRP. Pretty sweet.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I live in the Carolina's for 8 years. We use to go to Brevard side of Pisgah to hike. Nice easy trail along the river there too. If you go to Biltmore hit the wine tasting if you like that. They have very good wine they produce. Their restaurant is very good too. You have to hit the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. The Great Smokies, and do not forget The Brown Mountain Lights...never made the lights. Several breweries in Asheville. Do you have AAA? You can get a tour book from them for free. If you can swing it Cades Cove.

My buddy, up there, said the brew pub crawl is great. They have a bus that will take you, or bicycles they call, "pubcycles."

This is great. Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll have three full days to pack in as much as we can. I have heard that the beer there is really good. I'm a craft beer fanatic and that is a huge bullet on our moving checklist as well lol

catahoula

Caught the Bug
My buddy, up there, said the brew pub crawl is great. They have a bus that will take you, or bicycles they call, "pubcycles."

This is great. Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll have three full days to pack in as much as we can. I have heard that the beer there is really good. I'm a craft beer fanatic and that is a huge bullet on our moving checklist as well lol

Here is for all us drinkers!

http://winecompass.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=2&CompanyState=NC

BRaVell

I live in Greenville. Send me a pm and I'll give you my phone numberm but if you are looking for hiking you can't really go wrong with any. Table Rock and ravens Falls are both fun hikes with nice views. If it was warmer I'd tell you to go swimming at turtle back/horse pasture falls.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

There's a very cool spot about ten miles west of Asheville called Max Patch. You drive up this old fire road on the border to Tennessee, half a mile hike to the top, & you can see the Smokies & Pisgah. It's AWESOME.

IMG_6142.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

Sent from my duck blind.

Awesome thanks guys. I'll research those as well. Have you been to the Art Loeb and Black Balsam hiking area? Seems they have a nice loop which connects the two. I was thinking about taking us up investor gap and then back south on art loeb, or vice versa.

Ddays

Hooked
It might not be doable for you but if you can you should check Charleston out. It is an amazing city. Outstanding restaurants everywhere!

Top Bottom