Towing capacity with LS/Hemi motor

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
When / If I do a LS or Hemi swap can I technically tow more or is it more structural that limits the towing weight capacity rather than overall horsepower? Of course I would be upgrading axles to. Just curious.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
From a legal perspective, I can't imagine the manufacturer's stated tow rating would change regardless of what you do to the Jeep.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
When / If I do a LS or Hemi swap can I technically tow more or is it more structural that limits the towing weight capacity rather than overall horsepower? Of course I would be upgrading axles to. Just curious.

Tow rating is based off of structural design, not horsepower

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Well, I have a trailer well with in the tow limits of my JKU! I was just wondering if I eventually swapped the motor and axles if I could get something bigger and slightly heavier, like a Airstream. I did not know if some of what came into play was the 3.8 liter and not having enough power.

Thanks for the quick response and the informative site.

Last edited:

RSQCON

If you are considering an LS conversion then I'm guessing you have already upgraded the balance of your drivetrain. In theory limiting factors like gross rear axle weight can probably handle a larger load however as was mentioned from a legal perspective how do you get the official FCA ratings changed? I've never heard of that being done. Another thing for people to keep in mind is after you modify your Jeep it tends to get heavier and so the amount of tongue weight along with overall cargo carrying capacity is greatly diminished.

I would encourage those with highly modified Jeeps next time you head out on a trip have everyone in the rig with a full tank of fuel run over to the CAT scale and get weighed.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
I would suggest everyone interested in pulling a trailer read the article in the link I posted above - there are a lot of physics involved in determining tow ratings and it explains why its a damn good idea to stick to those posted ratings.
One of the biggest reasons JKU's have higher tow ratings in Europe is the speeds allowable in relation to GVWR. Its not just HP and brakes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest everyone interested in pulling a trailer read the article in the link I posted above - there are a lot of physics involved in determining tow ratings and it explains why its a damn good idea to stick to those posted ratings.
One of the biggest reasons JKU's have higher tow ratings in Europe is the speeds allowable in relation to GVWR. Its not just HP and brakes.

That was a good article. Thank you for sharing it :thumb:

Basscat

Wheel base, gross weight, transmission, rear end of drive train and gearing would all be factors in addition to HP of the LS..

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
As much stuff as I've trailered, over the years, I'd say you could get by fudging on the capacity, a smidgen, but speed is a major factor, as well as the ability of the stock brakes, and of course, driver ability. If you are going to try to run 80 mph, you'd better have a truck and fifth wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
No definitely not looking at doing 80, most I cruise at with my Jayco now is 60. I am on vacation and don't need to be anywhere in that big of a hurry. I was looking long term, LS motor with Dana 60 axles, 1350 drive shafts and etc... I like my trailer now, but those airstream are nice.

Ddays

Hooked
Curious - what trailer do you have? Can you post some pics of your setup? We are looking at Jayco's as well.

Bluegrassjku

I pull trailers everyday in our business, and the one thing I worry the most about is not pulling it, but stopping whatever I'm pulling safely. Second to that is the weight distribution of the trailer. Going to a more powerful engine won't change your towing capacity. For example I had a 2015 chevy silverado ltz with the 5.3l and a 6 speed 3.42 rear end. It had a max towing capacity of 9200lbs. I drove a 6.2l truck, and fell in love with it. The same truck with a 6.2l (420hp compared to 355 in the 5.3l) 8 speed 3.23 rear end (which is the same equivalent of the e.42 6 speed) had the same 9200lb max tow rating. I had to step up to the max tow with heavier springs and a 3.42 rear end to get the 11,700lb tow rating.

GraniteCrystal

I pull trailers everyday in our business, and the one thing I worry the most about is not pulling it, but stopping whatever I'm pulling safely. Second to that is the weight distribution of the trailer. Going to a more powerful engine won't change your towing capacity. For example I had a 2015 chevy silverado ltz with the 5.3l and a 6 speed 3.42 rear end. It had a max towing capacity of 9200lbs. I drove a 6.2l truck, and fell in love with it. The same truck with a 6.2l (420hp compared to 355 in the 5.3l) 8 speed 3.23 rear end (which is the same equivalent of the e.42 6 speed) had the same 9200lb max tow rating. I had to step up to the max tow with heavier springs and a 3.42 rear end to get the 11,700lb tow rating.
Agreed on the stopping part. I pretty much won't go over 60mph when towing something. Way too much momentum beyond that for my taste.

Brute

Hooked
I'm reviving this thread since I have a couple questions about flat towing with a jeep...

First of all, a very informative link earlier in the thread about towing physics...however, it does not discuss towing dynamics as it pertains to flat towing...I'm thinking about flat towing my JK6 with my Brute for several reasons...

1. Eliminate the added weight of a trailer.
2. Brute more comfortable to drive on long trips...and has a fridge.
3. Have a spare rig to wheel in the event of a mechanical problem/trail break.
4. Far greater fuel range with the Brute over the JK6, even while towing...less gas stops...and I'm burning 89 oct in the Brute, 92 oct in the JK6.

While the weight limit for a Class II hitch which is on the Brute is only rated for 3500 lbs, I'm wondering if this actually also pertains to flat towing...given the following in my particular case:

1. The Brute wheelbase is much longer than the JKU at 139"...much more towing stability.
2. 5.7 hemi, PR60 rear/PR 44/60 front
3. Negligible tongue weight
4. COG for towed vehicle (JK6) is between the axles
5. I will be upgrading the brakes from EBC to Dynatrac Pro Grips on the Brute.
6. Will be adding Blue Ox Patriot towing brakes onto the JK6.
7. will be adhering to the 55-60 mph max speed tow limit depending on state.

Please feel free to chime in...

Brute

Hooked
I’m not a fan of flat towing for the fact that if something goes wrong that you can’t drive the vehicle, how will you tow the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fair point...however, if the Brute breaks down anywhere, I at least have another vehicle to drive to get beer, parts, food, lodging, beer, etc...and arrange for a tow...and get beer...

Top Bottom