Softest possible ride for bad back...

madstiles

So I'm having fusion surgery on Monday and my Dr says I need to stop offroading... Instead of listening to that nonsense I want to make the ride as soft as possible. I currently have Bilstein 5100 and spacers. After research I'm thinking of going with 3 inch plush rides. My question is in everybody's experience are they the softest coil spring on the market?
Next I'm going to upgrade my driver's seat hopefully to something that has more suspension and softer than Factory my recliner is broken anyway so it needs replaced does anyone know any seats that meet that criteria?
Last question are there any other ways to give you a softer ride would a long arm lift give you a softer ride?
Any info is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have no experience with the plush ride springs, but folks on here that o trust have recommended them to me for the softest ride possible. I just took a ride in a Jeep with the EVO coilover a and can tell you that I was really surprised at how soft they rode. Not sure if they were stock spring rates or not, but they offers a supple ride on the road and soaked up most bumps like they were nothing. I was very impressed with their soft ride. Good luck, interested to here others experiences, as I too am always looking for the softest ride possible!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
So I'm having fusion surgery on Monday and my Dr says I need to stop offroading... Instead of listening to that nonsense I want to make the ride as soft as possible. I currently have Bilstein 5100 and spacers. After research I'm thinking of going with 3 inch plush rides. My question is in everybody's experience are they the softest coil spring on the market?
Next I'm going to upgrade my driver's seat hopefully to something that has more suspension and softer than Factory my recliner is broken anyway so it needs replaced does anyone know any seats that meet that criteria?
Last question are there any other ways to give you a softer ride would a long arm lift give you a softer ride?
Any info is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

I have the EVO plush 4" and Rancho adjustable 9000's and hate to say it but the ride will not get smooth/soft enough to help you with your bad back.

my sister has had her back fused in several spots and I thought my Jeep was soft but after we went on a short ride I could tell she was miserable.

solid axles suck going over pretty much any road bump, speed bumps etc...

I rode in a Jeep with coilovers and it was smooth at absorbing the bumps much better than standard coil/shock setup.

Those with coilovers can jump in and offer better feedback.

as for your seat, I'd look at something with a better support and possibly a coil setup (similar to long-haul seats). I sat in a minimizer seat and I just about married it hahaha - but getting one sized down to fit a Jeep may be pretty costly.

madstiles

Thanks for the replies
Coil overs is above my pay grade at present but definitely a long term idea.
Adjustable shocks are going on the list
A semi seat is brilliant my dad was a truck driver and those things were pretty comfy gonna have to see if theirs any wrecking yards that have 1 I can do some experimenting on.

Anyone ever do air ride on a jku? lol

Benito

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the replies
Coil overs is above my pay grade at present but definitely a long term idea.
Adjustable shocks are going on the list
A semi seat is brilliant my dad was a truck driver and those things were pretty comfy gonna have to see if theirs any wrecking yards that have 1 I can do some experimenting on.

Anyone ever do air ride on a jku? lol

i haven't seen anyone on here install one or mention it but

http://offroadonly.com/airock/ .... :hmm:

LasVegasJK

How many levels are being fused?
I can't offer any insight into suspension that would be best, but I can tell you that a fusion doesn't mean you have to give up anything. It does mean that you have to pay more attention to your health. I've had two back surgeries, and I'm actually healthier and stronger than I was before I wrecked my back. Eat right and start walking as soon as you can after the surgery. Don't push yourself too much, but get moving. My surgeon told me, and I'm quoting him, "my job is done, it's up to you now." I took that seriously and worked on my health.
Good luck with your surgery!
My Enforcer is in transit,so hopefully next week I can give some insight into the plush rides+fused back.

Angry Aussie

Sorry to hear about your back. I hope the surgery helps and gives you some relief. I have 2012 and when I went off roaring with my rig stock, by the time I got home my back would hurt so badly I would need help getting into the house. Once I lifted my rig with the Evo double D long arm kit and plush ride coils, it helped ease a lot of the pains I was having after an off roaring trip. Then I put in the Master Craft Baja Ss seats in the front and now my back never hurts after a run.

So long story short the Plush ride coils and a Mastercraft seat all my back pain after a run is gone.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
My father n law was going to go on a trail with me but after 4 back surgerys there was no way. Sorry about your back I'm sure you can find company's out there that will specialize in things like that. Air ride is a good choice also the semi seat.

JKbrick

Good luck with your surgery, good health is so easy to take for granted, I hope you feel better soon. Please do not get messed up with the meds afterwards, when I worked in the hospital I saw too much of that. It ruins people's lives worse than anything

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

How many levels are being fused?
I can't offer any insight into suspension that would be best, but I can tell you that a fusion doesn't mean you have to give up anything. It does mean that you have to pay more attention to your health. I've had two back surgeries, and I'm actually healthier and stronger than I was before I wrecked my back. Eat right and start walking as soon as you can after the surgery. Don't push yourself too much, but get moving. My surgeon told me, and I'm quoting him, "my job is done, it's up to you now." I took that seriously and worked on my health.
Good luck with your surgery!
My Enforcer is in transit,so hopefully next week I can give some insight into the plush rides+fused back.

Thanks for the advise! 2 levels 4-5 5-s1 this is second surgery and 1rst fusion

jeeeep

Hooked
Good luck with your surgery, good health is so easy to take for granted, I hope you feel better soon. Please do not get messed up with the meds afterwards, when I worked in the hospital I saw too much of that. It ruins people's lives worse than anything

Hey JKbrick...get off this forum and go test drive your Jeep!! any idea how much anxiety and OCD jacking you're creating while we wait to see if your Jeep handles better?!?!?!? :cheesy:

madstiles

Sorry to hear about your back. I hope the surgery helps and gives you some relief. I have 2012 and when I went off roaring with my rig stock, by the time I got home my back would hurt so badly I would need help getting into the house. Once I lifted my rig with the Evo double D long arm kit and plush ride coils, it helped ease a lot of the pains I was having after an off roaring trip. Then I put in the Master Craft Baja Ss seats in the front and now my back never hurts after a run.

So long story short the Plush ride coils and a Mastercraft seat all my back pain after a run is gone.

Good to know and I'll definitely look into those seats appreciate it!

JKbrick

Hey JKbrick...get off this forum and go test drive your Jeep!! any idea how much anxiety and OCD jacking you're creating while we wait to see if your Jeep handles better?!?!?!? :cheesy:

LOL, I'll head to the garage right now! Hoping to get it ready to drive and after work tomorrow test it out. I sound like a broken record, geez

madstiles

My father n law was going to go on a trail with me but after 4 back surgerys there was no way. Sorry about your back I'm sure you can find company's out there that will specialize in things like that. Air ride is a good choice also the semi seat.

I appreciate it! Definitely going to look into the seat if not just for the cool factor [emoji2]

Thanks it definitely is! I've been on pain meds for about 5 years that is one of my reasons for surgery to get away from them I hate being reliant on them to get out of bed every day. I'm super stoked to be getting this done hopefully pain to a manageable level or pain free without prescriptions.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Also smaller wheel diameter and larger tire , lower air pressure ( more sidewall) when I went from 35's to 38's (15x10 wheels) on my MJ with 5:13 's, the ride was so smooth... "you must be a limousine... "oh sorry about that, must have been a '80's flashback. Really, any rig I had and went to larger tire, wow the ride was smoothed out and sweet. Love it, so go 40's, your back will appreciate it!

I hope the surgery goes perfectly and you heal quickly.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I was gonna say airing down will definitely make a difference. Add a bigger tire will also make a difference. I hear good things about the suspension seats. Bouncy semi seats are an idea. Maybe a Mastercraft seat on the semi seat base.

I thought bilstien 5100s were stiff shocks on my old jeep, but probably stiff springs too. Rancho 9000s would be a better choice from what people say, for a resonable price. EVO Spec King 2.5s with adjusters would be premium for shocks but at a premium price.

Then there is the DTD, but need a winning lottery ticket for that or a better job.

Good luck with the surgery and then the jeep.

Last edited:

lesterjanpearson

Good luck with your surgery and God bless.

While I am no expert. but I have compared OME and Ironman kits. OME is the softest. I am just not sure if thats good thing.

Though running on AT tires vs MT tires will do you good. even if its 35s/37s. I tried Mickey Thompson AT 35s. didnt dissappoint.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

madstiles

So I went with 3" evo plush rides for now as it fit my budget as I needed new tires also. Both arrived this week super stoked to be recovered enough to install them!
20170208_173003.jpg 20170206_193015.jpg

Top Bottom