That dead horse (long arm vs short)

rsbrehm

The same question everyone keeps asking yet no article writers seem to understand: People want length measurements!!!!! What is the stock control arm measurement for a JKU? What is the short arm length between 3.5 to 6inches of lift? Wouldn't anything larger be considered long arm?

The question is born from frustration of so many column writers trying to answer the question, without realizing the question wouldn't be there unless people wanted the exact damn numbers! Every effing person already knows the General idea of what they are or else they wouldn't be asking! Sheesh... (All of the articles I've read were a treatise of explaining their deffinitions. Those writers should die in real life.)

Sent from my VK810 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The same question everyone keeps asking yet no article writers seem to understand: People want length measurements!!!!! What is the stock control arm measurement for a JKU?

So climb under your Jeep and take a tape measure up to your control arms :idontknow:

What is the short arm length between 3.5 to 6inches of lift?

Ummm, the same as factory unless you install adjustable control arms. Up to 4" of lift, you only need to set them about 3/8" longer than stock. Anything taller and it won't really make much of a difference being that your suspension geometry will be off enough to negatively effect your ride.

Wouldn't anything larger be considered long arm?

Not sure where you're getting this idea from but "long arms" are typically about 10" longer than stock. They require you to cut off your factory mounts at the frame and install new ones further toward the middle. This allows you to reduce the angle your control arms sit at effectively making their angle more like stock. This is what helps to provide a nicer ride when running a tall lift.

The question is born from frustration of so many column writers trying to answer the question, without realizing the question wouldn't be there unless people wanted the exact damn numbers! Every effing person already knows the General idea of what they are or else they wouldn't be asking! Sheesh... (All of the articles I've read were a treatise of explaining their deffinitions. Those writers should die in real life.)

Not sure why you're in such a huff over all this :idontknow:

rsbrehm

This came out of talks with others in my jeep club about identifying aftermarket lifts - when the parts have no identifiers like serial numbers, etc... I read some articles and forms from Google searches seeking specs on stock control arm lengths. After about an hour of reading about the reason for long arm kits and generic replies to other people's very specific questions... I had a herp derp moment. All "herp derp" have a backstory lololololol!

Sent from my VK810 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom