Regearing a 4 cyl

Zach_in_Black

Hi, first off I just got me 97 Wrangler TJ last weekend. I'm looking to make it a looker and a fun driver. 90% of what I'll be doing is mainly highway/town driving. I want it to be able to go mudding and crawling, too. I was told by a friend to regear it and get 35s. As far as I know, all gears and things like that are stock. I'll be paying someone to regear, but what do I regear it to? Thanks for all help in advance.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I'm not for sure but I believe you have 4.10s stock if I remember correctly. You would want 4.88s or even 5.13s though I would be very careful with 5.13s as your pinion gear will be small.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
The Dana 35 c is not worth putting any money into. I would stick with 33's, I broke the 35 in my TJ twice on 33's. Regear it put 33's on and go have a good time. The TJ is very capable, you'll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

35s on a 4 banger I would do 4.88s. 5.13 would be too much on stock axles because of it will become a very easy break point. 4.56 could work but it might still feel underpowered. As others have said, the 30/35 those have in them really can't take much abuse on 35s. I would stick with 33s and run a 4.56 gear.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
After you regeared and put 33s on, your 35 didn't break again?

I never regeared it, just ran it with 3.73 and 33's. both times I broke it was on 33's. I just broke the spider gears, wasn't that big a deal, got it off the trail, pulled the rear driveshaft and drove it home on the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

John82601

Agree with everything mentioned above and wanted to add one more thought. I'm running 35's w/ 4.88's and a 2.5. Around town it's not half bad, on the interstate it's horrible. I purchased my YJ nearly stock and with every increase in tire size I've had a reduction in comfortable highway cruising speed. Stock it would run 75mph quite comfortably, now I need a tail wind to do 65mph and it's laboring pretty hard to cruise any distance at that speed. With every increase in tire size there is typically an increase in vehicle height to accommodate it. That leads to substantially increased aerodynamic drag and greater rolling resistance due to larger tires and their increased mass. With a 6cyl it'd be different but with your 4cyl I'd stick with a smaller lift and some 33's. On a TJ that's a great combination.

Top Bottom