My hammy down cj5 build

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Keggerbombs

So I'm running into something I'm unsure about. The passenger side perch on the front axle is partially on the dif, im trying to decide how to flip it to leaf over, and don't know how I want to move it to the top. Here's a picture of it so y'all can see what I mean

IMG_3887.jpg

Could I incorporate the leaf spring perch into a truss?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

klungly

So I'm running into something I'm unsure about. The passenger side perch on the front axle is partially on the dif, im trying to decide how to flip it to leaf over, and don't know how I want to move it to the top. Here's a picture of it so y'all can see what I mean

View attachment 242200

I don't see why not. It would be like putting blocks under your springs.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

I'm not seeing the perch you're talking about.

Edit: I see it now. The leafs were under the springs prior and you're wanting to put them on top now.

The tricky part is how you're going to secure your ubolts. That shop I told you about earlier bends and makes ubolts, or at least they did when I worked there. You may have to make one with a larger radius than the other similar to how the OEM ones probably were.

Last edited:

Keggerbombs

I'm not seeing the perch you're talking about.

Edit: I see it now. The leafs were under the springs prior and you're wanting to put them on top now.

The tricky part is how you're going to secure your ubolts. That shop I told you about earlier bends and makes ubolts, or at least they did when I worked there. You may have to make one with a larger radius than the other similar to how the OEM ones probably were.

Yep was thinking a lot on that, running into a lot of things we didn't think about already haha

So after mocking up the rear we realized the springs alone aren't gonna give us the amount stretch we want, so I'm gonna have to move he front hangers of the rear springs back about 6" to get it where I want. The old hangers are beat up and rusty so I ordered new ones, won't be able to get much done until those are here. New the axles mocked up under the jeep to get the correct pinion angles before we weld on the perches. Kind of killed the plans for the weekend

Keggerbombs

I need to move the rear spring hangers back about 6" to get the stretch I want, do y'all think I can re use them? It looks like they are only welded in one spot and bolted underneath.
IMG_3942.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg
IMG_3943.jpg
IMG_3944.jpg

Keggerbombs

Comp cut the cj, dropped the fuel tank, and started getting the frame ready to stretch. Picked up some steel rect tube from the steel yard today after work, will start cutting and welding this weekend probably

A spare 35 sitting roughly where I want it to sit. Will be leaf over, so a lot taller, a lot wider, and 39" tsl's IMG_3948.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Those spring hangers are riveted on, and they're big rivets and a bitch to get off. If you are careful, you can reuse the hangers, but most of the time they get messed up. Use plasma and an air hammer to cut the rivets.

Keggerbombs

Those spring hangers are riveted on, and they're big rivets and a bitch to get off. If you are careful, you can reuse the hangers, but most of the time they get messed up. Use plasma and an air hammer to cut the rivets.

Yep I realized that after I was looking at em, I may still give it a shot but I'll probably order new ones, might as well just take my time and do it right, I just get impatient waiting on parts [emoji28]

Keggerbombs

Got the old hangers off and moved them about 8" back, that with the rear leafs with the centerpin offset to the rear, were getting about 12" total stretch.
We haven't set the perches up leaf over on the new axle, so to mock up the new springs we just flipped the old axle over haha we need to mount the rear bumper and then set some 2x4s between the frame and spring to find where it rests at for our shackles, and then weld on the shackle plate.
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_3993.jpg

Keggerbombs

Been a bit since I updated this but here's where I'm at so far. Got the bumper fab'd up, move the rear shackle plates, and mocked up some cheap autozone shackles until my ordered ones show up.
IMG_4023.jpg
If you look closely we didn't use the longest option on these shackles so don't worry lol going with 6" long shackles
IMG_4038.jpg
I want a little better angle on the shackles so I may move them forward an inch but we'll see. Old amc 20 is still under it until I can get 6lug wheels for the full width Dana 44s, and the I can mock up the spring perches. Also got a set of 39" tsl's for her from a buddy haha

Also, still have touched the front end yet obviously haha
Currently sitting at a 99" wheelbase, a nice improvement front the stock 83". Also when I do the shackle reversal I'll gain 1-2" up front, so I'll be sitting closer to 100-101" wheelbase:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom