JK Unlimited Rubicon 2.5 Lift | I've done my research, now time for your feedback....

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Curious to your thoughts on the new fix-length arms provided by JKS.

http://jksmfg.com/i-16457968-j-link-front-lower-control-arms-wrangler-jk.html

JKS Front Lower Control Arms. Lengthened slightly over stock (~3/8") in order to increase and correct caster on vehicles lifted up to 4.5"

I'd go adjustable because....well...they're adjustable. You may want to upgrade in the future or play with caster etc. And I think the AEV carrier is a good choice. I bought one and love it. Install is pretty damn easy as well. Don't psych yourself out about drilling. Just wait till you put skins on or something for that. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ktcred

I'd go adjustable because....well...they're adjustable. You may want to upgrade in the future or play with caster etc. And I think the AEV carrier is a good choice. I bought one and love it. Install is pretty damn easy as well. Don't psych yourself out about drilling. Just wait till you put skins on or something for that. Haha

Thanks! I'm going to give the carrier a whirl and I'm sure I am making the drilling more complex than reality (it looks trivial from the instructions....it is just one of those things that is hard to reverse if you mess up).

As for the LCAs, I'm looking at the JKS J-Flex. Let me know if you feel I should be looking in a different direction. JKS, alone, as multiple options. I don't want to go beyond what I really need, however.

ktcred

Thanks for the great feedback and insight, everyone. This forum is fantastic and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience. I do have a few last questions to help set me over the edge on the decision. Thoughts on the following if I go with the JKS 2.5 lift:

• 35" Tires: I need to research the real height of the tires I'm looking at (see below), but JKS lists the max recommend tire size for the 2.5 lift at 35x12.50 on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I'm looking at 18x9 wheels, and I believe the corresponding tires add a bit more tire. Any concerns?
  • Exhaust Spacer: The JKS site notes that an exhaust spacer is required for all models between 2012 and 2016. However, I see on many sites that a spacer is not required for lifts 2.5" an under. If it was really "required," why wouldn't it just come with the lift? Do I really need one? And, lastly, any concerns regarding a self-install (e.g., risk of leaks)?
  • Lower Control Arms: I'm thinking the JKS J-Flex LCA. It is the lower range of their offering (i.e., less than the J-Axis). Thoughts?

Her is where I'm netting out with my build (I'll also modify the original post to reflect my current line of thinking):

1. Lift: JKS JSPEC 2.5 Suspension Lift
  2. Lower Control Arms: JKS J-Flex Lower Control Arms
  3. Tire Carrier: AEV Tire Carrier
  4. Tires: 35x12.50R18LT - Still debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler Hybrid and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
  5. Wheels: 18” Fuel Octane -12mm 4.5 BS
  6. Computer Adjustments: Superchips Flashpaq

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the great feedback and insight, everyone. This forum is fantastic and I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience. I do have a few last questions to help set me over the edge on the decision. Thoughts on the following if I go with the JKS 2.5 lift:

• 35" Tires: I need to research the real height of the tires I'm looking at (see below), but JKS lists the max recommend tire size for the 2.5 lift at 35x12.50 on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I'm looking at 18x9 wheels, and I believe the corresponding tires add a bit more tire. Any concerns?
  • Exhaust Spacer: The JKS site notes that an exhaust spacer is required for all models between 2012 and 2016. However, I see on many sites that a spacer is not required for lifts 2.5" an under. If it was really "required," why wouldn't it just come with the lift? Do I really need one? And, lastly, any concerns regarding a self-install (e.g., risk of leaks)?
  • Lower Control Arms: I'm thinking the JKS J-Flex LCA. It is the lower range of their offering (i.e., less than the J-Axis). Thoughts?

Her is where I'm netting out with my build (I'll also modify the original post to reflect my current line of thinking):

1. Lift: JKS JSPEC 2.5 Suspension Lift
  2. Lower Control Arms: JKS J-Flex Lower Control Arms
  3. Tire Carrier: AEV Tire Carrier
  4. Tires: 35x12.50R18LT - Still debating between Nitto Ridge Grappler Hybrid and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
  5. Wheels: 18” Fuel Octane -12mm 4.5 BS
  6. Computer Adjustments: Superchips Flashpaq

In regards to your tire question, the true height of the tire never is what is printed on the sidewall, however, if you have a 35r16, 35r17, or a 35r18, all those tires will be roughly the same height compared to each other. The tire manufacture takes that in to account with different rim sizes. The rim size has nothing to do with the overall tire height. As far as what you're looking for, see this thread in regards to what tires actually measure at: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database.

Another suggestion, 17s are much more common than 18s and a little cheaper too when it comes to buying tires. It will give you more options for sizes, more availability if you were to have a failure to one, and save a little money.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks! I'm going to give the carrier a whirl and I'm sure I am making the drilling more complex than reality (it looks trivial from the instructions....it is just one of those things that is hard to reverse if you mess up).

As for the LCAs, I'm looking at the JKS J-Flex. Let me know if you feel I should be looking in a different direction. JKS, alone, as multiple options. I don't want to go beyond what I really need, however.

Yea you'll be fine. I like the j-flex arms. Those are the ones I'm running.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ktcred

In regards to your tire question, the true height of the tire never is what is printed on the sidewall, however, if you have a 35r16, 35r17, or a 35r18, all those tires will be roughly the same height compared to each other. The tire manufacture takes that in to account with different rim sizes. The rim size has nothing to do with the overall tire height. As far as what you're looking for, see this thread in regards to what tires actually measure at: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database.

I'll poke around that thread to get a sense for actual tire height; thanks for sharing. That said, I do see that manufactures do list different height measurements based on wheel size. For example, Mickey Thompson's website notes that the diameter is 0.5" more for the 18" wheel versus the 17" comparable (bolded number is the listed "Overall Diameter"):

17 Wheels: 35X12.50R17 BLK 121Q 65 D 50 3,195 8.0-11.0 9.5 12.8 10 34.6 18.5
18 Wheels: 35X12.50R18 BLK 126Q 71 E 65 3,750 8.5-10.0 9 12.5 10 35.1 18.5

Source: https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZP3

WJCO

Meme King
I'll poke around that thread to get a sense for actual tire height; thanks for sharing. That said, I do see that manufactures do list different height measurements based on wheel size. For example, Mickey Thompson's website notes that the diameter is 0.5" more for the 18" wheel versus the 17" comparable (bolded number is the listed "Overall Diameter"):

17 Wheels: 35X12.50R17 BLK 121Q 65 D 50 3,195 8.0-11.0 9.5 12.8 10 34.6 18.5
18 Wheels: 35X12.50R18 BLK 126Q 71 E 65 3,750 8.5-10.0 9 12.5 10 35.1 18.5

Source: https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaATZP3

I see what you're saying. I'm just saying in general, a 35 inch tire is a 35 inch tire. The rim size generally doesn't play a role in it.

Top Bottom