What is wrong with my jeep !? still having issues after alignment and new ball joints

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Those ball joints can take a couple k to break in. Been down that road in my last jk. But at 2.5 in a 2 door, I'd still suggest giving longer front lca's some serious consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

I have a 2 door Jk on a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 35 inch mud terrains running no steering stabilizer at the moment. I hit a pot hole a few weeks ago and my jeep started driving like crap. I got all the ball joints replaced with the Synergy heavy duty ball joints and got an alignment done. My jeep is still driving like crap! No death wobble but a lot of wandering and a lot of bump steer, I also get some bad body roll and can always feel the steering wheel going back and forth making it hard to drive straight, even on smooth roads it will wander and go side to side. Also at slow speeds hitting small bumps it will throw me side to side both with the steering wheel and the body roll. I was at 2 off road shops today and got 2 different oppinions. The first shop took a look underneath while I turned the steering wheel and all he told me was my tie rod and drag link had movement in them when turning the wheel. He told me to get a new Synergy tie rod and drag link and also a Fox IFP steering stabilizer. The second shop (which just looked at my jeep a few weeks ago after I hit the pot hole) told me that the shop would have never even done the alignment in the first place if the tie rod was bad because it wouldn't get in spec. I took a look myself earlier and everything seemed to be tight and I also checked the shock on the side I hit and that was fine so I think I can rule out the shocks being bad. So I have no clue what to do now and I do not want to keep spending money on things I do not need. Thanks for the help everyone

Check your caster? Perhaps not enough positive caster?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepDrum

With the engine not running have someone turn the wheel back & forth while you look at all of the joints yourself to check for movement. Any movement is not good.

Also, you can check the front end settings yourself by using this link: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment
You can pick up a cheap angle finder at Harbor Freight for less than $10.
It's best to check for play with the engine NOT running? I'm not saying that's incorrect, I always assumed people checked with it running so the power steering was working in their favor. Does it show more with the engine off?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's best to check for play with the engine NOT running? I'm not saying that's incorrect, I always assumed people checked with it running so the power steering was working in their favor. Does it show more with the engine off?

I check steering with the engine running due to it being easier to turn the wheel to be able to feel movement within the joints

Bmans08jk

You need to check it with the engine off because there is more of a load on the system, making it easier to see worn out joints and lose track bar or hollowed out hole.

Sent from my LG-H918 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepNfish20

Thanks for all the help guys. I took it back to a different off road shop and they re balanced the tire on the side that I orginally hit the pot hole on, that was way off and made a difference but didnt fix everything. The owner told me the way he would go is to upgrade to front lower control arms (mine are fixed now) and that should fix everything. He ordered me a set of the Rubicon Express adjustable lowers and told me if this does not fix it they will only charge me for the parts but he is pretty confident this will do the trick.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for all the help guys. I took it back to a different off road shop and they re balanced the tire on the side that I orginally hit the pot hole on, that was way off and made a difference but didnt fix everything. The owner told me the way he would go is to upgrade to front lower control arms (mine are fixed now) and that should fix everything. He ordered me a set of the Rubicon Express adjustable lowers and told me if this does not fix it they will only charge me for the parts but he is pretty confident this will do the trick.

I hope so. I don't doubt the caster is too low with a lifted Jeep, but still seems strange that all of this happened after hitting a pot hole.

Top Bottom