TJ Stretch

NavyJeeper

So I'm getting very close with the money saved up and the axle builds to start my own build thread and really dive into the TJ. As like any build it will be a long process, but I have been buying what I need so I can dive into the build itself without waiting for parts. One of my biggest projects beside the axle swaps, is the wheel base stretch which i have been looking into. So I'm reaching out for som advice. Has any of the crew on here ever done a wheelbase stretch and if so did you go with your own fabricated arms or by them from somewhere. I noticed Genright has an awesome kit, but curious to get some feedback

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Keggerbombs

A few of the guys I trail with out here in Yuma used the tj stretch kit from artec industries, I want to do it as well but that's a later on project for me right now haha I'm currently starting a stretch on my cj5

LetsGoMuddin

There's a few different companies that sell a stretch kit for the TJs. I also remember someone using LJ rear arms on their TJ to stretch the rear axle back.

NavyJeeper

Thanks guys. This mod is still very much up in the air I'm just gathering as much research as I can about it. I think if I do it I'm gonna go with the genright kit. I still wanna keep the jeep somewhat street legal and I know with a stretch that can be hard.

Jody Treadway

stretch.jpg

I stretched my brother in law's TJ a couple years ago using the Genrite tank and fabrication items from Barnes4wd. The Barnes "kit" is pretty easy to install assuming you feel comfortable with moderate fabrication. Lot's of cutting and welding was involved.
The most tedious work was the corners and front tube fenders as they finish off the job. The actual stretch was quite easy, just time consuming. IIRC, we netted about 6" total between stretching the rear via moving the axle back and pushing the front forward by adjusting out the UCA and LCA. We do plan to build a 3 link in the front this summer just for fun.
Here's the build thread that will show some additional detail in doing it with the Barnes items.
Edited Link

WJCO

Meme King
I stretched my brother in law's TJ a couple years ago using the Genrite tank and fabrication items from Barnes4wd. The Barnes "kit" is pretty easy to install assuming you feel comfortable with moderate fabrication. Lot's of cutting and welding was involved.
The most tedious work was the corners and front tube fenders as they finish off the job. The actual stretch was quite easy, just time consuming. IIRC, we netted about 6" total between stretching the rear via moving the axle back and pushing the front forward by adjusting out the UCA and LCA. We do plan to build a 3 link in the front this summer just for fun.
Here's the build thread that will show some additional detail in doing it with the Barnes items.
Edited Link

Good looking rig. Just an FYI, I removed the link to the other forum as it is against the rules. You can, however, take some pertinent screen shots from the project and post them here.

Jody Treadway

Sorry about that. I'll remember that going forward.

Here's some pics that show how the rear frame was stripped of it's bracketry and the new Barnes coil relocation pieces installed. I built a simple triangulated 4 link using 2" x .250" DOM and Barnes Enduro joints. On the axle side one of their standard over the diff trusses was used.
I've done a few of them in a similar manner if you have any questions.

stretch1.jpg stretch2.jpg stretch3.jpg

Attachments

• stretch4.jpg
    stretch4.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

NavyJeeper

View attachment 245663

Edited Link

Nice! Rig and good info. I'm pretty good when it comes to som moderate fab work. I'll PM you for some more info

calrissian

I used a RockKrawler lift kit for an LJ to stretch mine. Gave me a 10" rear stretch. Nothing in the front. The front can be done, but it involves a lot of part relocation to gain more than about an inch. I did mine about 10 or more years ago and there really weren't any "kits" to stretch a TJ back then. You either fabbed everything or used an LJ kit like I did. You made your own brackets, cut and made new frame rails, figured out link geometry. There are actually quite a few companies selling everything you need to backhalf , stretch, and link the TJs online. A few inch stretch is relatively simple - so to speak, haha. More than about 6", I think, and you have to start moving the gas tank and all kinds of stuff like cutting out the rear cross member and fabbing new frame rails. Good luck!

Top Bottom