Best 35 R15 Tire?

TheGrendel

I currently run Goodyear MTRs. But, I find they track weird, don't stay balanced very well, and wear weird. So, I'm looking for something else. FWIW, I have a JK not JKU.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, MTR's suck just like that. As far as "BEST" goes, that's relative. Are you looking to get another MT?

TheGrendel

Yup, MTR's suck just like that. As far as "BEST" goes, that's relative. Are you looking to get another MT?

yes, i want to stick with a MT. 2 most important things for me. how rough (stiff) is it on the road and can it withstand punctures. unfortunately, those 2 things are often at odds with eachother. :lol:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yes, i want to stick with a MT. 2 most important things for me. how rough (stiff) is it on the road and can it withstand punctures. unfortunately, those 2 things are often at odds with eachother. :lol:

Of all the tires I have run in the past, I have found that Toyo MT's are the most puncture resistance especially in a 35 or 37. But, as you have pointed out, a big part of their strength comes from the fact that they are a load range E tire. You can get them to ride nice but you'll want to run them at 28 psi or there about. I am currently testing out a load range E Cooper STT Pros and so far, I've been very happy with them in spite of their thick sidewalls. They feel more like a C.

TheGrendel

been reading very favorable reviews in other places about the Cooper Pros. knock on wood, i still have 10k miles or so left in my MTRs. but, i will definitely keep watching the Cooper reviews.

sidenote, have you seen the new BFG KM3s in person yet? think they are supposed to hit the streets some time this year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
been reading very favorable reviews in other places about the Cooper Pros. knock on wood, i still have 10k miles or so left in my MTRs. but, i will definitely keep watching the Cooper reviews.

sidenote, have you seen the new BFG KM3s in person yet? think they are supposed to hit the streets some time this year.

I have not seen the new KM3's in person but I would assume that much like the current KM2, it'll be a good tire. BFG has always made comfortable tires that, hook up decently on the trail and wear like iron and the only real weak point I have found on them is their sidewall strength.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing I'd like to comment on is that I would highly recommend that you look at a 17" wheel and NOT a 15". Even with steel wheels, you they will sit very close to your brake calipers - aluminum wheels may require you to grind your calipers. 17" is what your JK should have from the factory and it's a very common size.

TheGrendel

One other thing I'd like to comment on is that I would highly recommend that you look at a 17" wheel and NOT a 15". Even with steel wheels, you they will sit very close to your brake calipers - aluminum wheels may require you to grind your calipers. 17" is what your JK should have from the factory and it's a very common size.

been running these 15 inch wheels for awhile now. but, i might step up to 17 again. that's the other thing i haven't decided.

jeff_in_rc

I will say I love my General Red Label Grabbers here in the desert of southern cal, they work well everywhere for me. They have a new version called IIRC the X3 and it is supposed to be even better. Just my 0.02, YMMV.

JKbrick

Of all the tires I have run in the past, I have found that Toyo MT's are the most puncture resistance especially in a 35 or 37. But, as you have pointed out, a big part of their strength comes from the fact that they are a load range E tire. You can get them to ride nice but you'll want to run them at 28 psi or there about. I am currently testing out a load range E Cooper STT Pros and so far, I've been very happy with them in spite of their thick sidewalls. They feel more like a C.

Do you have to pump them up to go on a "road trip" to keep them from heating up and blowing or is 28 safe for all the time?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have to pump them up to go on a "road trip" to keep them from heating up and blowing or is 28 safe for all the time?

All I can say is that I've never had a problem with them at 28 and I ran them like that all the time. In fact, it was the best pressure to give me a flat footprint.

Top Bottom