Axles, what to do?

agiron

I've thought about getting the pr44, but after looking at cost I'd be damn near 4K.

I could have a d30 sleeved and gusseted for about $525 including labor.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing different about the jkr d44 and d30 is the housing, so I could run bigger gears. So I really don't see any benefit it going that route.

I'm running 35's with 4.88, what are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
A pr44 is superior in every way to a sleeved and gusseted d30. In fact sleeves are essentially a waste and offer no real benefit. Gussets are all that's needed. In the end it depends on how hard you wheel. Many people get away with a gusseted d30 on 35s with no taller a gear than 4.88s. Over time you will break something on that setup. Only you can determine if the cost of a pr44 is worth it to you. In my opinion it's well worth the price tag

As the others said, you could get away with it but you're likely to break something at some point. If you wheel it, don't skimp out and at least get a Rubi 44 under there. But I would suggest saving for that PR44 so you have absolutely nothing to worry about even up to 37s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Typically bends occur at the pumpkin or at the c. Sleeves prevent neither. Bending at the pumpkin isn't really likely unless you're driving crazy high speed off-road. Your weakest point with a 4.88 is probably the pinion. That's a pretty small pinion. I would either drive it as is or save for a pro rock if you're really considering it. I think you'll probably be OK with what you have without spending money on it.

rlee

IMG_1839 - Copy.jpg
I think about this a lot. There is nothing worse then to cheap out and still have to upgrade.

BlackDiamond_JKU

Imo

I bought a Rubi, thinking I'd just beef up the axles like I did on my last JK (2 door on 35's) and be fine. Well, when I decided to do the jump to 37's (now wanting to do 40's) I figured I'd truss, gusset, ect ect ect. Then I started seeing people still fuck up their Rubicons built "dana 44's" which you will find out as stated earlier, the Rubi D44 front is not actually a D44... :sigh: I decided fuck it, I don't want to be that ass crack on the trail with an under built rig that breaks shit and screws over the group. Did that with my built xterra and was on the trail for an extra 6 hours once. So, I just didn't wheel like an ass, and saved up for 60's, right about the time when
Dynatrac came out with that sick ass hardcore 60/60 set and I ordered; which Im still waiting for.
To be honest, I say this all the time, I wish I had just ordered a JKU sport and gone straight to 60's.
In my opinion, just save your money, and do it once, do it right. Go with the PR44. Or bigger...

rlee

Holy cow, that had to be a car accident right?
Yeah but not what you think. It was a side hit to a front wheel. This is a front to rear bend that I could see happening on deactivation ditches.
The funny thing is that there was no damage to the C's.
I see people installing sleeves and not thinking that you could just transfer the load to a stock center section instead. I'll save my money for a PR44 and not waste it on trying to beef up a stocker.

Top Bottom